What's new

Multiple DHCP ranges?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hellboy2

Regular Contributor
I would like to assign IP addresses in groups like this:-
- static devices, f.ex. printers, file shares, and media servers - 192.168.1.10 - 99
- home users, f.ex. PC's, tablets, mobiles - 192.168.1.100 - 199 (may use file share and media)
- guest users - 192.168.1.200 - 250 (may use printer, but not file share or media)

Currently, I manage the usual DHCP with reserved IP addresses for servers and home users.
Problem is, when guests via ethernet or range extender gets assigned an unwanted IP address.

Right now, I reserve dummy IP address Mac addresses, just to keep guests out of IP range.
Would be much easier, if DHCP had "static" and "dynamic" ranges to hand out from.

I might be misunderstanding what you're going for, but it seems like you're looking for what I do. I have my home devices manually assigned and use the dhcp for guest devices. So for example, the router is 10.1.1.1, my computers are 1.10 through 1.19, mobiles are 1.20 through 1.29, utility devices like set top boxes are 1.30 through 1.39, and miscellaneous others are assigned 1.50-1.59. The dhcp range is 1.200 through 1.254.

The point of it was to have an idea at a glance based on the ip if it was properly assigned and therefore a known device.

The point of it was to have an idea at a glance based on the ip if it was properly assigned and therefore a known device.
What happens when the laptop PC or mobile phone is outside your Router's domain, f.e.x when children visit their friends, and connect to their home Routers there? the PC should not be locked to my home network, so it has to use DHCP client.

I also like the quick glance based on the IP, so I can see if it is a known PC.
- Dad's range is 192.168.1.110 -119 (PC, tablet mobile, etc)
- Mom's range is 192.168.1.130 -139 (PC, tablet mobile, etc)
- Kid1's range is 192.168.1.150 -159 (PC, tablet mobile, etc)
- Kid2's range is 192.168.1.170 -179 (PC, tablet mobile, etc)
And to make things worse, some devices arrive to DHCP server with different Mac, if they connect direactly or via range extender. I had to reserver usual IP + 10, f.ex. 110 becomes 120 via range extender.

Only static devices like printers, file servers and media could use static IP on the device itself, which works for me.

A simple(*) solution would be if DHCP server gave "unknown" IP addresses from one end (high or low), so they would not accidently go inside range of reserved IP numbers.

(*) Everything is simple, when you don't have to do it yourself. :)

As to the address assignments, I'm not setting the static up on the devices. The devices themselves negotiate via dhcp. The addresses are assigned on the router. So when my phone connects to my wifi, it's always assigned 10.1.1.27 by the routers dhcp server. If I took it to my friends house, it would negotiate a new address based on whatever their setup would be.

As to the different Mac/extended scenario, I have never used one and I'm totally unfamiliar with the ins and outs of that, so unfortunately I cannot help there.

A simple(*) solution would be if DHCP server gave "unknown" IP addresses from one end (high or low), so they would not accidently go inside range of reserved IP numbers.

(*) Everything is simple, when you don't have to do it yourself. :)
That's what I do. My manual assignments are outside of the dhcp range, so there cannot ever be conflicts. But that is because I have assigned all of my known devices to manual addresses.

Here's an outdated (but mostly functionally similar) version of my setup, from the LAN settings page:

tZKR9vN.png

That's what I do. My manual assignments are outside of the dhcp range, so there cannot ever be conflicts. But that is because I have assigned all of my known devices to manual addresses.
oooooh! It may be simpler than I thought. I did not think you may reserve IP outside the dynamic range, but there was no complaint when I changed range from 100-254 to 200-254, while keeping the known reserved addresses.

I don't think that was allowed on my old D-link DIR-655, but it looks promising here...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!