What's new

My AC66U + PCE-AC66 Config for best perf. so far

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jscoleman

New Around Here
After much testing I finally found a performance configuration that seems stable so far and offers 25-30MB/s transfer through SMB from an old Buffalo Diskstation NAS to my desktop.

Notable settings to check to maximize SMB transfer speeds:
Add your NAS IP to your Internet Options Local Intranet Security Settings
Under Internet Options -> Connections -> LAN Settings verify Automatically Detect Settings is UNCHECKED

I have QOS Enabled and set to User Defined QOS rules.
In the SS its set to Open for my second round of testing but the Open vs WPA2 / AES did not affect or improve the performance at all.

Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_2.png

Screenshot_8.png

I'm guessing with a faster drive I will see even better performance.

Notable settings to check to maximize SMB transfer speeds:
Add your NAS IP to your Internet Options Local Intranet Security Settings
Under Internet Options -> Connections -> LAN Settings verify Automatically Detect Settings is UNCHECKED

I am really sorry but don't understand this instruction. Where should I set these? On my PC or on the router?

Thank you in advance,
P.

I am really sorry but don't understand this instruction. Where should I set these? On my PC or on the router?

Thank you in advance,
P.

These are found on your PC:

Internet Options can be found in the Control Panel or also can be opened from Internet Explorer by clicking the options wheel or the tools menu option (depending on which version of IE you are using, you can also get to the tools menu by pressing ALT + T within internet explorer)

Unfortunately no luck for me. I have the same settings and made the suggested changes in Windows but I'm lucky to get more than 11 MB/s during Samba transfers from my Synology NAS.

I note the OP has the .266 firmware and Windows8 - perhaps one/both of those are the magic ingredients to faster SMB transfers. I have .270.24 Merlin FW and Win7.

However, I can still get 21 MB/s+ during single file Firefox downloads from my NAS and a combined throughput of 40 MB/s+ with multiple Firefox downloads.

Thanks.

Using 266 firmware, I actually get best xfer in 5Ghz, with that windows option ENABLED.

client is Dell XPS 15 L521X (yeah, the troubled one, wifi wise), with Bigfoot Killer-N 1202 WLAN card. At ~15 feet from router I'm getting ~200 Mbps down, ~160 Mbps up, straight TCP over SSL over WPA2 WLAN (speedtest mini on Mac Mini i7 machine).

I'd suspect SMB I/O would be a bit lower as there is more overhead for that, but I am not yet at a point that I can run those tests. I don't have a NAS.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!