What's new

My RT-AC5400 is requiring more frequent reboots should I do the M&M or nuclear reset?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yes I did mean the RT-AC5300 that was a novice mistake. I copied it down wrong. But have confirmed from the splash page that is the correct one.

I was thinking of cleaning it of the past network or other issues… to try and reinvigorate it.

How is the factory reset in the GUI different from the link you posted about the WPS reset …?

There have been cases posted here where the hard factory reset did not resolve issues and the GUI reset (with initialize settings) did. And vice-versa. If you can handle the downtime, it only takes a few extra minutes do do the second one, and it isn't going to hurt anything.

There are different flavors of the nuclear reset, some include doing both of the resets above, some include formatting JFFS after the reset (which the WPS reset should do for you but just in case). Some include unplugging the wall plug while it is powered on and then letting it sit a while to make sure the capacitors are all drained and the electronics all get a full cycle off and on. Personally I also like to give it some time after the reset for the CPUs to settle down so everything is stable. It only takes a couple minutes usually.

If you're going to be down for 30-60 minutes what's the harm in being down 35 to 65 minutes is the way I see it. However most likely the WPS reset is all you'll need to clean things up and be back to a good state. Problem is if that isn't the case, you're back to square 1, this time doing the more extreme options, so doing it all up front may end up saving you downtime.

Ok, I ended up going for the nuclear option as I had a bunch of time (although I left it off for an hour this morning and then plugged it in, this morning I finished the process but did only a 2 ish minute power drain. Then did the rest, just got internet again (I have to do a few extra steps to get it so I just went ahead and skipped them)

Do I need to do any of the other options like sanitize or anything…?

This should readily clean it and keep CPU/RAM good right…?

If I have a separate router that I want on a different SSID which mode is best to have the second router in…? (It’s connected via Ethernet, and far enough away if I turn the primary router down slightly, the signal doesn’t reach)

Do I need to do any of the other options like sanitize or anything…?

This should readily clean it and keep CPU/RAM good right…?
There really is no such thing as "sanitizing" or "cleaning" to keep CPU/RAM "good". Once you have wiped the internal storage and reset all the options to their default values (which you now have) that's it. That's your baseline. Any changes you make past this point are down to your own personal preference as you're deviating from the defaults.

If I have a separate router that I want on a different SSID which mode is best to have the second router in…? (It’s connected via Ethernet, and far enough away if I turn the primary router down slightly, the signal doesn’t reach)
Why do you want it on a different SSID?

Last edited:
I suggest you keep a good set of notes of what you've done. That may prove helpful to determine if you did 'enough' right now if the router/network starts exhibiting issues again in the near future. An actual old-school notebook, an Excel spreadsheet, and a Word/OneNote document are all great ways to keep track of your router changes. Whichever you use, be sure to use it consistently and faithfully.

Contrary to what has been suggested above, there are no flavors of a Nuclear reset. It is an all-or-nothing process. Right now, you haven't performed one (fully). Sure, your issues may or may not be exhibited in your fresh setup, but to get to a fully 'nuclear' starting point means you need to do it completely if needed. And if other issues are now present, same thing once more.

What is the purpose of this second SSID on another router? What mode is this second router in? Almost no matter how you set this up, you do know that this will not be isolated from your main network, right?

Contrary to what has been suggested above, there are no flavors of a Nuclear reset. It is an all-or-nothing process. Right now, you haven't performed one (fully). Sure, your issues may or may not be exhibited in your fresh setup, but to get to a fully 'nuclear' starting point means you need to do it completely if needed. And if other issues are now present, same thing once more.
So I have now finished:
(Last night I left it unplugged for an hour, (left cables in), then plugged it in)

This morning I unplugged and waited two or more minutes, unplugged everything, ensured the power button was on.

Held the WPS button and put power in, held until it was flashing. Then released it.

Set up a bogus network name and router password, Didn’t set up internet, and then logged into the GUI and clicked restore (clicked initialize).

Set up a bogus network name and Router password; uploaded a recent update into the firmware and installed it. (Waited several minutes)

Did another restore (clicking the intialize again)

Set up just the internet and the original SSID and password (with a slight variation to the network name to prevent new connections until I was ready)

Clicked format JFFS partition clicked ok to the warning and clicked apply. Rebooted.

Waited five minutes after the reboot happened to log back in and repeat the process 2 more times.

Now I’ve waited a bunch after that for things to cool down

What is the purpose of this second SSID on another router? What mode is this second router in? Almost no matter how you set this up, you do know that this will not be isolated from your main network, right?
It’s complicated. I need to have a different SSID not for security purposes, so that isn’t an issue. If I have it as the original one it’ll cause problems…

I don’t remember the mode of the second one, is one better than another?

Let's keep the modified/made-up definitions in check. This is what is being referred to here.

Sanitize Network https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac66u-slow-wan-to-lan.12973/page-3#post-269410
Ok yeah that’s what I was thinking of! I was not sure, but that’s the term. Do I need to do that as well if the nuclear (as I did it) stuff doesn’t work…?
Let's keep the modified/made-up definitions in check. This is what is being referred to here.

Sanitize Network https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac66u-slow-wan-to-lan.12973/page-3#post-269410

Again, it's not one or the other (or any mixture in between). All the steps together are the 'nuclear' option. That is why it's nuclear, of course. :)

From the Nuclear Reset link.

Use the suggestions in the M&M Config, the Sanitize Network and the Control Channel Set up in the links above to further stabilize the settings. Leave the router in this state for a few hours or a couple of days or more to know it is actually stable.

Now, for all your specific customizations, I would proceed slowly and methodically. Making only one change/addition at a time and testing fully and for an extended period to verify that this specific customization didn't break anything or make the router otherwise unstable. Don't forget to do a GUI initiated Reboot and test fully again with each change.

The above steps will either get your current router to a good/known state, or it will indicate that the RMA was actually needed.

It’s complicated. I need to have a different SSID not for security purposes, so that isn’t an issue. If I have it as the original one it’ll cause problems…

I don’t remember the mode of the second one, is one better than another?

Complicated is what we do here. Give the details, the reasons, and the expected outcome and get confirmation or a better method to implement and actually get to your desired outcome.

One may be better than the other, depending on the details above.

Complicated is what we do here. Give the details, the reasons, and the expected outcome and get confirmation or a better method to implement and actually get to your desired outcome.

One may be better than the other, depending on the details above.
upstairs people want the WiFi off at 11 till 6; (simply put conspiracy theories) and I don’t. I want it always on, and so I just have a separate router to generate the SSID and connect to it. They have their false sense of security I have my WiFi.

Again, it's not one or the other (or any mixture in between). All the steps together are the 'nuclear' option. That is why it's nuclear, of course. :)

From the Nuclear Reset link.
Ooops i somehow missed that part I thought it ended at step 9.

I haven’t turned on the internet for anyone else it’s just my iPhone and Computer. Ethernet is still unplugged.

So I need to do:

Use the suggestions in the M&M Config, the Sanitize Network and the Control Channel Set up in the links above to further stabilize the settings. Leave the router in this state for a few hours or a couple of days or more to know it is actually stable.”

I don’t plan on using usb applications or anything, or customizations (except turning off radio and limiting internet usage of two people) so this part doesn’t apply right…? (Those things I mentioned aren’t customizations correct)

“Now, for all your specific customizations, I would proceed slowly and methodically. Making only one change/addition at a time and testing fully and for an extended period to verify that this specific customization didn't break anything or make the router otherwise unstable. Don't forget to do a GUI initiated Reboot and test fully again with each change.”

Could just turn on guest network instead of using another router.
That might actually be a good alternative, and then turn the second router into a second AP… then turn on the guest network as the second SSID which wouldn’t conflict hopefully…. And we’re both happy.

We could also spend some time understanding the actual problem and symptoms that led you to this lowly state of witchcraft. Whenever you’re ready.

Upstairs people? Are these relatives or renters? Do not share your ISP with anyone you don't trust/control (i.e. they could give the credentials to anyone else in the vicinity). This is a very big risk on your part if the latter.

No, the router (hardware) should be fully reset for you now. You don't need to flash it again.

Guest Network is okay for kids/other relatives. See above.

How long you wait to see if the reset router/network is stable is up to you and is somewhat dependent on the previous issues you were having. If a shorter time period is sufficient, then do so.

We could also spend some time understanding the actual problem and symptoms that led you to this lowly state of witchcraft. Whenever you’re ready.

Did you read the first post? Also, read the whole thread before making your disparaging remarks.

I've been giving as helpful information as I can for the last 24-hour period. The witchcraft you allude to is in your head.

What's the problem you are trying to solve @Williamthe5thc? Your Internet dropping may not be your router related.

What is dropping? Wi-Fi completely, connection to the modem (or whatever you have there from the ISP), the ISP connection, specific clients only?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!