What's new

Mysterious throughput drop with faster Modems

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Place holding....ok now that I read it I really am lost...lol
system error message do you think I can get that kind of info out of them?
I do know that shaw tells Teksavvy what they can use for different speeds and I am beginning to think Shaw is trying to cause them/me issues.
I might be going to a buddies place tomorrow to hook my RT-AC88U onto his Shaw modem and test the vpn and no vpn speed...he is on Shaw 150mbps service and it is rock solid.
It can be confusing for the ISP as well as you'd need to talk to someone who actually plans out the cabinets. Even within the same ISP they may use different chips and exchanges in different cabinets so one location may use a different chip brand then another.

The other issue that plagues VDSL and cable is crosstalk. With cable it is far more of a problem as not only do you have crosstalk, but the architecture is a shared bandwidth/channel thing combined with the inherit greed that has become a cable tradition. If there are too many subscribers to the number of ports, there will be a lot of sharing and crosstalk which could've affected your speeds, and although a good modem can improve speeds in such a situation but only a little. You can also test your modem at your friend's place too unless they use an unsupported protocol. So if your hardware works well at your friends place (router + modem), then the issue is with the ISP in which they'd have to send someone to check the exchange, cables, etc.

I might be going to a buddies place tomorrow to hook my RT-AC88U onto his Shaw modem and test the vpn and no vpn speed...he is on Shaw 150mbps service and it is rock solid.

Sounds like a really good idea... and can help isolate where the problem might be.

It can be confusing for the ISP as well as you'd need to talk to someone who actually plans out the cabinets. Even within the same ISP they may use different chips and exchanges in different cabinets so one location may use a different chip brand then another.

The other issue that plagues VDSL and cable is crosstalk. With cable it is far more of a problem as not only do you have crosstalk, but the architecture is a shared bandwidth/channel thing combined with the inherit greed that has become a cable tradition. If there are too many subscribers to the number of ports, there will be a lot of sharing and crosstalk which could've affected your speeds, and although a good modem can improve speeds in such a situation but only a little. You can also test your modem at your friend's place too unless they use an unsupported protocol. So if your hardware works well at your friends place (router + modem), then the issue is with the ISP in which they'd have to send someone to check the exchange, cables, etc.
I don't think the modem idea will work, because they get mac identified. Now if I knew what I was doing, I might be able to clone his mac...lol

I suddenly had a thought, might give Teksavvy a call while I am there and see if they have a suggestion. Their tech support has always been outside the box kind of help.
system error message...I found the clone mac on the RT-AC88U..what if my buddies modem is a modem/router combo...I know I can test my 88U by itself connected to his gateway(whatever it is) but how would I go about testing my modem if his service won't recognize it?
A little guidance can be a big help sometimes. I would ask my buddy, what he is running, but he is busy getting overtime at the moment...lol
***Update***
It just occured to me I can get his mac off the bottom of his device, probably just have to enter it in the clone mac field and apply
***Update***

Last edited:
I don't think the modem idea will work, because they get mac identified. Now if I knew what I was doing, I might be able to clone his mac...lol
I suddenly had a thought, might give Teksavvy a call while I am there and see if they have a suggestion. Their tech support has always been outside the box kind of help.
system error message...I found the clone mac on the RT-AC88U..what if my buddies modem is a modem/router combo...I know I can test my 88U by itself connected to his gateway(whatever it is) but how would I go about testing my modem if his service won't recognize it?
A little guidance can be a big help sometimes. I would ask my buddy, what he is running, but he is busy getting overtime at the moment...lol
simply access the modem's management, you can find the mac address there typically, but if it is in bridge mode than the mac would be that of the router.

simply access the modem's management, you can find the mac address there typically, but if it is in bridge mode than the mac would be that of the router.
or read it on the bottom of the device...not sure if I would be able to access the modems management...sorry just not an expert..
I put an update at the end of my previous post system Error Message

Hey....I have a GREAT question...System Error Message(or anyone else watching)
Why don't I just clone the mac of my TC4350 and install my DCM475?
I wouldn't return the modem to vendor but put it on top of all my other used equipment.
I would be running my DCM475 in place of their dictated modem...
Am I wrong or right?

Hey....I have a GREAT question...System Error Message(or anyone else watching)
Why don't I just clone the mac of my TC4350 and install my DCM475?
I wouldn't return the modem to vendor but put it on top of all my other used equipment.
I would be running my DCM475 in place of their dictated modem...
Am I wrong or right?
If you are using another device as the router then you wont have to clone the mac if you already have given your router mac to ISP.

If you are using another device as the router then you wont have to clone the mac if you already have given your router mac to ISP.
***this answer no longer valid based on Teksavvy phone call***
Just to clarify...
On my buddies system...if I attempt to use my modem in place of his, his isp probably won't recognize mine and I would have to clone or copy his modem wan mac into my RT-AC88u in order to get service..do I need to do anything else to make it work?
On my system...If I copy the TC4350 mac into the Wan of my router and replace the TC4350 with the DCM475...Will this fool the isp into giving me service with the DCM475...is there something else I need to do to make it happen?
Remember the isp is dictating which modems you can use and the DCM475 is not approved for use on 150mbps service
Oh ...I don't remember how to access the Modem's interface if I need to...about to google or duckduck go it...lol
Getting called away
Just watched a video on how to access interface.
I vill be back...
***valid answer***
I should be able to remove the TC4350 and test it at my buddies since shaw recognizes it as being part of their system.
I wouldn't be able to try the DCM475 because it is no longer recognized by the shaw system.
Cloning macs to try and fool shaw isn't possible according to Teksavvy support
Joe

Last edited:
I know that the routers mac is not being used in place of my modem because I didn't have a problem reversing the positions of my routers the other day

Just got off the phone with Teksavvy...supervisor..
DCM475 interface not accessible, shaw firmware closes it.
He will be looking into a number of things and we had a very good conversation.
I will update as to the results in a few days
Thank you all for your input
Stay tuned...

Sorry I never updated...
Went with Fibre through Telus
Modem+TL-ER6020+RT-AC88U(Powered by Asuswrt-Merlin through PIA)+TL-WR1043ND
Laptop connected via Ethernet cat5e
VPN on
Ping 4ms Download 72Mbps Upload 68Mbps
VPN off
Ping 5ms Download 131Mbps Upload 138Mbps
Speed tested at my home office at the far end of the complex through 2 managed switches and 3 routers..
Network runs solid reboot system every Sunday