What's new

N14/N56/N65 QOS UP/DOWN + BFQ with Padavan's F/W builds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

If it doesn't work right away clear browser cache next time. There have been a few changes to the related code, but your browser moght still be using old cache.

If it doesn't work right away clear browser cache next time. There have been a few changes to the related code, but your browser moght still be using old cache.

Yep! Works now just fine! You do announce new builds here, right? :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

One in a while. Actually I don't most of the time. I think if you create an acvount on mediafire you can watch directory for changes.

084-moonman-2 (building right now) will likely be the last build as OpenWRT now fully supports this device.

Github repository will stay so if anyone wants to pick up where i left off feel free. If anybody is interested in just qos part let me know and I'll post the scripts here so they can be used with any build (compiled with qos support)

Last edited:
Sad to see you go, moonman. I was using your builds and they work great. But thank you for all the hard work.

Same here! I'll miss these builds! Will wait for the 5ghz wifi LuCi bug in openwrt to be fixed before I jump ship.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Sad to see you go, moonman. I was using your builds and they work great. But thank you for all the hard work.

OpenWRT is even better. It is fully modular. And comes with only essential stuff to get the device booted and basic routing to work, but you can extand the functionality to what you want by installing packages (without using any external storage devices, if you have enough space internally). It is a little bit more time consuming researching what is required, but most of the stuff is on their wiki.

kalpik said:
Same here! I'll miss these builds! Will wait for the 5ghz wifi LuCi bug in openwrt to be fixed before I jump ship.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Just don't use LuCi to setup your wifi the first time. Chnage the password in LuCi and ssh in right away, and put my example config in there. Save, reboot. You are good to go, now you can use LuCi to set things up. So far it has been very stable and I have not encountered any issues.

I might stay with padavan's. OpenWRT is great but they can only use opensource driver for wifi radios which is far from perfect. Padavan dug out proprietary ralink source code somewhere which is way better but cannot be used legally with openwrt. (actually I wonder how he gets away with it :)).

Current builds: kernel 3.4 won't compile due to latest (probably untested) commits by padavan.
Also I discovered a bug: PPTP server won't handshake properly with a client. After some research it seems GCC4.8.3 is the culprit. See if it works for you. Might have been just my phone.

I might stay with padavan's. OpenWRT is great but they can only use opensource driver for wifi radios which is far from perfect. Padavan dug out proprietary ralink source code somewhere which is way better but cannot be used legally with openwrt. (actually I wonder how he gets away with it :)).

Current builds: kernel 3.4 won't compile due to latest (probably untested) commits by padavan.
Also I discovered a bug: PPTP server won't handshake properly with a client. After some research it seems GCC4.8.3 is the culprit. See if it works for you. Might have been just my phone.
Glad to have you back :D

Sent from my Nexus 4

I saw new builds from you the other day along with updates at github and was cautiously hoping you're back. :p

p.s. I'm working on converting all the Toastman QoS rules from Tomato to your builds. I'll post them soon if someone finds them useful for initial configuration.

p.s. I'm working on converting all the Toastman QoS rules from Tomato to your builds. I'll post them soon if someone finds them useful for initial configuration.

That's great but AFAIK Tomato makes heavy use of l7filter which neither of the 2 padavan's available kernel provides. When I started this thread I tried to find patches for 3.x kernels but they seem non-existent or don't work. The last official l7filter patch is for 2.6.35 kernel. Openwrt has a patch for v3.10 but it won't apply on top of 3.4 or 3.0

kernel 3.0 vs 3.4

Hey guys, gurus and pros, i have a few question about moonman's flavor of padavan's fw. Besides the ability to add qos, what are the differences between moonman's build vs padavan's. I also wanna know the differences between the kernel 3.0 vs 3.4 build. I came from 3.0.3.8-084 padavan stock. Im on adsl and video streaming(esp youtube), seems to be having problem streaming at acceptable speed. Im not sure what cause the problem. But if im running latest asuswrt it will stream fine. Then i tried moonman's 3.4.3.8-084 it works fine too. Anyone care to explain? Thanx in advance.

All the differences are in the first post. k3.4 vs k3.0 mainly nothing that you should care about, but 3.4 is a long term support kernel so all the fixes come from kernel developers; in 3.0 padavan backports select commits himself if he thinks they are important. I do prefer 3.4 in case he misses anything important ;) but then dd-wrt is on 2.6.24 kernel and works fine (with features like ext4 support missing). I suppose it's about whatever works better for you.

About your problem: it could be that I am using a newer toolchain + optimization for the particular SoC in the router. Padavan uses generic optimizations. It could also depend on the time of the day you tested. Can't tell you for sure. Are you using qos at all?

Last edited:
All the differences are in the first post. k3.4 vs k3.0 mainly nothing that you should care about, but 3.4 is a long term support kernel so all the fixes come from kernel developers; in 3.0 padavan backports select commits himself if he thinks they are important. I do prefer 3.4 in case he misses anything important ;) but then dd-wrt is on 2.6.24 kernel and works fine (with features like ext4 support missing). I suppose it's about whatever works better for you.

About your problem: it could be that I am using a newer toolchain + optimization for the particular SoC in the router. Padavan uses generic optimizations. It could also depend on the time of the day you tested. Can't tell you for sure. Are you using qos at all?

I have been facing the problem with padavan and previous asuswrt for the longest time. It was only been fixed since i tried the new asuswrt and your 3.4 build. Its been great so far. Im not sure if its gonna be better using a qos script. Im running an 8/0.5mbits fyi. Can anyone recommend me a few good qos scripts? And where to get it. Thanx a lot guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The script is built into the firmware image. Read the first post, there's a link to how-to page.

vpn client

thank you, got it. it works flawlessly esp on my buffer-bloated setup. btw, i have a question about the vpn client. i only wanna use the simple PPTP. the log says that im perfectly connected. but i dont seem to be getting the internet through the vpn at all. am i missing something?

Pptp client seems to work, it is the server that isn't working (at least it doesn't on my android 4.4 phone)

Pptp server works perfectly on my side. How do u setup the pptp client? If u are connected to the vpn, are all devices that are connected to the router will be sending and receiving datas through the vpn?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's great but AFAIK Tomato makes heavy use of l7filter which neither of the 2 padavan's available kernel provides. When I started this thread I tried to find patches for 3.x kernels but they seem non-existent or don't work. The last official l7filter patch is for 2.6.35 kernel. Openwrt has a patch for v3.10 but it won't apply on top of 3.4 or 3.0

I was trying to figure out just that for the past few days. Thank you for answering that. I guess I'll just finish up the remaining rules and call it a day.

Quick question: Is there anyway to block specific IPs or an entire country from accessing PPTP server? Not a day goes by when someone from China tries to break into my PPTP server.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!