What's new

N66U 2.4 radio gone

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GabiP

New Around Here
Hey guys,

I'm a bit puzzled abt a problem here. Came back from vacation router was plugged out from the socket resting. I pluged it back in everything was ok but i noticed that my 2.4 ghz connection is missing. Restored to factory settings, i upgraded to 178 Merlin, still nothing. Not sure how to fix since I cant find out whats wrong.
Maybe you guys have some ideea.

Thanks.

Hey guys,

I'm a bit puzzled abt a problem here. Came back from vacation router was plugged out from the socket resting. I pluged it back in everything was ok but i noticed that my 2.4 ghz connection is missing. Restored to factory settings, i upgraded to 178 Merlin, still nothing. Not sure how to fix since I cant find out whats wrong.

Thanks.
That is strange. I would venture a guess that something is wrong with the hardware inseide the router. I would contact Asus as with its 2 year warranty your router is still covered. I would not mess with it other than to clear the nvram, flash the router again this time in recovery mode using the firmware restoration utility, clear the nvram again and then see what happens after you re-install or manually rebuild your configuration. I know its redundant to clear the nvram both before and after flashing but that is what I do and I have never had a bad flash (knocking on every wood surface available).

Hey guys,

Thanks.

If you run my build, go to the Sysinfo page. Does the 2.4 GHz radio display a temperature, or "disabled"?

Hey guys,

Thanks.

I wonder; You sure it wasnt an electrical problem?
Ie a discharge from your electrical socket?

Merlin : the 2.4 displays a 53 deg and the 5 ghz a 57 deg temperature so it does not list as disabled.( temperature by aproximation on the 50 to 60 scale)

tamalero: i dont think so since the device was powered off while i was gone just to avoid such problems.

DaveMishSr: yes thats the only thing i can think off so i will try that right now, i hope it will help.

Btw, thanks for the shoulder guys :D

P.S. I tryed DaveMishSr's solution but no succes 5 ghz radio seems fine but none of my other devices that run on 2.4 are able to discover any incoming connections. Also would like to mention that the 2.4 led is on as normal.

Last edited:
From what I can gather with these info, your radio is indeed enabled.

If you haven't done so yet, try setting the 2.4 GHz radio to a different SSID, make sure the power output is set to the default value of 80, use a static channel of 1 for example (instead of auto) then use InSSIDer (Windows) or Wifi Analyzer (Android) to see if you can actually see the radio signal at all. This will also confirm that the problem isn't with the devices themselves if you can see your neighbors.

Try both in a regular spot and very near to the router , to see if it's a power output issue. You might want to try re-screwing the antennas in place, just to be sure.

From what I can gather with these info, your radio is indeed enabled.

If you haven't done so yet, try setting the 2.4 GHz radio to a different SSID, make sure the power output is set to the default value of 80, use a static channel of 1 for example (instead of auto) then use InSSIDer (Windows) or Wifi Analyzer (Android) to see if you can actually see the radio signal at all. This will also confirm that the problem isn't with the devices themselves if you can see your neighbors.

Try both in a regular spot and very near to the router , to see if it's a power output issue. You might want to try re-screwing the antennas in place, just to be sure.

Thanks for the quick answer Merlin.
I did all that you asked and to no prevail, i can see other networks around me
both on my laptop and my droids with the suggested apps but my 2.4 connection doesnt show up.
Thinking abt sending the router for a RMA.

I agree, at this point it looks like it's good for RMA.