What's new

Need advise on replacing my modem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mattmyers

New Around Here
Hi,
I am using the cable internet at home. I don't access the internet much from my apartment. But, these days, the work burden is making me carry out some work to home.
I get 10Mbps speed for my plan. I am not very satisfied with the speed, well, this is only I should be expecting for my plan. I would like to know if there are any ways to increase the internet speed. I modem I use is Huawei MT130u. https://www.acanac.com/hardware/huawei-mt130u/?package=cable This was provided by my ISP.
I wish to replace this modem with another if it can improve the speed. Another idea is to use a wireless router. Do you think it can slightly affect the speed? I need your advise and suggestions.

Thanks.

Are you actually getting 10Mbit?

Can you view your modem's line stats?

Your ISP choice (if you have one) and the service level you want to spend at is what determines the speed you're capable of.

I am assuming 10Mbps/0.25Mbps down/up speeds, correct? What does Ookla speedtest give you for latency, download and upload speeds (when you're not connected to your work network)?

If you can choose a plan with symmetrical up/down service at even the 10Mbps you're getting now for download speed, it will make an immense difference.

We can analyze the hardware later. Right now, what does your ISP actually provide?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!