What's new

Need help setting up small home network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gazz

New Around Here
Hello, first post and hoping this is the right subforum for this kind of question. Apologies if it isn't and feel free to move it.

Recently I got a RT-AC66U to connect my laptop, phones to the internet.
I also have a server for my small business at home.

My set-up right now looks like this:
ISP 100mbit fiber with 3 static ip:s designated via DHCP to me.
Got one desktop and the server connected to a simple switch that's in turn is connected to the net.

Now I want to replace the switch with my router. The thing is that I really need the server have the same public IP it has now. Is it somehow possible to get the router to act as a dumb switch for the wired connections and use DHCP + NAT for the wireless?

Using custom firmware like merlin or something else isn't a problem as long as it gets the job done. Additionally it would be nice if the router still would act as a firewall for all connections, is that possible?

Any ideas how to set this up? I'm not that well versed in networking if that wasn't apparent already :)

Right now the router is dangling of the switch and using the last IP.

Hi,

Here a my 2 cents to your questions...

Now I want to replace the switch with my router. The thing is that I really need the server have the same public IP it has now. Is it somehow possible to get the router to act as a dumb switch for the wired connections and use DHCP + NAT for the wireless?
Is it not an option for you to do manual WAN IP Setting (on the router's web interfaces under Advanced Setting/WAN)?
You just need to choose the right IP address you want to have, and write down the current Subnet Mask, Default Gateway and DNS Server1 & 2 (or you use public DNS servers like Google ones).
I run a manual config for years without problems... :rolleyes:

Using custom firmware like merlin or something else isn't a problem as long as it gets the job done. Additionally it would be nice if the router still would act as a firewall for all connections, is that possible?
As you run internet phones, QoS might be a need: In this case you have to choose Tomato, as there you get QoS really working (Asus default and Merlin are not really good in it). :eek:

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Hello, first post and hoping this is the right subforum for this kind of question. Apologies if it isn't and feel free to move it.

Got one desktop and the server connected to a simple switch that's in turn is connected to the net.

Any ideas how to set this up? I'm not that well versed in networking if that wasn't apparent already :)

Hello there, if you add me on Skype: Leathality id be more than happy to help you get going if you would like me to.

By default the routers LAN + WLAN are bridged together and act as a dumb switch anyway (gigabit for the lan on a RT-AC66U which is what i have), thats how most routers are, they basically have a switch inside for the ethernet ports + the ability to route and do other things depending on the device and its Firmware.

Hello JRE ;)

- First find the right subnet for your 3 static IP
- Assign manually the IP for your server and use as gw the one provided by your ISP or try with the WAN IP of your router. You have also the possibility to add a specifc route from your server to force it.
- Use specific DHCP range for your wireless devices and enable manual assignment on DHCP server config.

Another possibility is to create a script for your router that run at boot and who'll create 2 virtual interface eth0:0 and eth0:1 with the 2 others external IP left and play wtith Port trigger/forwarding

It's possible but need some tuning if you do it with 2 virtual interface

Well, two years later and my switch died so now I'm desperate to fix this. I'm still running the latest stock firmware but could change to merlin or some other if need bee.

Maybe i didn't explain very well or am to dumb to understand the answers.

My ISP used to have static assignment of my IPs but changed to DHCP based on MAC address.

All i want is for one computer(my server) to get its address from my ISPs DHCP server and the rest of my computers from my router(192.186.1.xxx).
All are connected through my router. Is this possible somehow?

You could just buy a replacement switch. A 5 port gigabit switch would cost about $20 or a 100Mb switch about $10.