What's new

Need help with firmware 3.x QoS management (very poor compared to firmware 1.x)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MKANET

Regular Contributor
The old 1.x firmware for the Asus had one of the nicest "friendly" user interfaces I've ever seen on any device. All I had to do was click on the Voip/A/V stream priority icon and Internet application icon; and, the router automatically knew how to handle video streams and the Internet browsers while there's an aggressive multi-connection download from a usenet news server.

The new firmware has an automatic setting; but it doesnt seem to be much help.

I'm curious if anyone knows what settings to use in the new 3.0 firmware to be exactly equivalent to the older 1.x firmware (when the 2 Internet application and Video/audio/voip stream icons were selected).

I tried playing around with different settings; but, thought there must be an easier way to do this without having to manually specify what ports and respective bandwidth to give priority to.

In fact, this is so much of an issue, I'm thinking about reverting back to the 1.x firmware; which seemed to be overall much nicer; with more useful features.
:(

Hello,

If you would like help with your specific setup, I am happy to help if you email me at cl-jeremy@asus.com.

The guide provided above is a bit technical, so let me try to simplify it.

You mainly need to know what bandwidth you are allowed from your ISP. An inaccurate setting in the QoS will either restrict your total bandwidth or act as if nothing is set.

Once you have an accurate reading, you can fill out the Upload and Download limit (Remember: Upload is first!). Then you go to the QoS Rules (drop-down box in the upper right-hand) and set anything specific: IP/MAC of your device, the Port(s) used, lower/upper limit, and priority.

Again, anybody is free to contact me about anything specific they would like help with.

I hope this simplifies/clears up the process a bit. If not, here is a another guide that explains each setting with more detail. Maybe it will give you a better understanding of QoS.

http://support.asus.com/Search/KDetail.aspx?SLanguage=en&no=A96BF68D-98C9-9D26-129A-3D5E596D3073&t=2

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!