What's new

Need help with subnetting to use openvpn

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pommes

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
i have an Asus router with merlinfirmware.
The Router is 192.168.1.1.
I have openvpn server running.
When i am at my friends home or at work i can not connect to the router via vpn, because my friends and my workrouter also use 192.168.1.1.
i can connect to my router when i am not on a network with 192.168.1.1.
What address should i assign to my home network? would 192.168.126.1 work, or should i use 10.0.0.1, or 172.0.0.1? i would like to use a very uncommon address, so i can connect to my network via vpn from most routers...
sorry, but i am new to networking and do not understand too much about it.
Please help
Thanks
Pommes

Hi,
i have an Asus router with merlinfirmware.
The Router is 192.168.1.1.
I have openvpn server running.
When i am at my friends home or at work i can not connect to the router via vpn, because my friends and my workrouter also use 192.168.1.1.
i can connect to my router when i am not on a network with 192.168.1.1.
What address should i assign to my home network? would 192.168.126.1 work, or should i use 10.0.0.1, or 172.0.0.1? i would like to use a very uncommon address, so i can connect to my network via vpn from most routers...
sorry, but i am new to networking and do not understand too much about it.
Please help
Thanks
Pommes
when you connect from outside your home you should be using DDNS address or the IP address of your WAN.
Setup one from WAN/DDNS tab and you should be good to go providing your data was entered properly for the VPN server.

when you connect from outside your home you should be using DDNS address or the IP address of your WAN.
Setup one from WAN/DDNS tab and you should be good to go providing your data was entered properly for the VPN server.
Ddns is running, i can connect to my router 192.168.1.1 web interface from outside via vpn as long as my local router is not using the same ip...if the local router uses 192.168.1.1 the web interface is the local router...