What's new

Need router advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

brossyg

Occasional Visitor
I currently have an all-Linksys Gigabit network with a cable modem (optimum online) feeding an RVS4000 router and several 8-port gigabit switches and a couple of g/n WAPs.

I am thinking of replacing the RVS4000, but don't know what to choose. I want gigaibit switching and the highest performance (reasonably) available for a SOHO network. It needs to include at least 4 10/100/1000 wired ports (8 would be better) and wireless g/n (preferably capable of streaming HD video, but this might currently be a pipedream). I might use a VPN in the future, but this isn't critical. The advanced security level of the RVS4000 is a minimum, but I don't really know what the state of the art is in router firewalls.

Any suggestions?

Also, I see on the charts the the RVS4000 is near the bottom of the heap on throughput. Will a new router make web-surfing or large file transfer noticibly faster? Am I better off not changing something that works fine now, or are the benefits of an upgrade worth it?

Thanks.