What's new

Need simple solution to share pics via FTP or SSH

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

d_v_us

Regular Contributor
Hello everyone, I need to share out an external drive temporarily to let some friends in another state download some pics/videos I have. I'm currently using Merlin's 374.38_38_1-em and have setup the DDNS service and FTP info.

I was going to use Firefox's simple FTP plugin (fireFTP) to accomplish this since the people I'm going to be working with aren't that tech savy and thought they could easily configure this product but, if there is a more secure method in which to do this I'm all for it.....any assistance would be appreciated. Was reading up on using SSH but can that be used for simple pics/videos for the average user to configure.

Last edited:
You can share files (and possibly folders - I never looked on that one) using AiCloud. However AiCloud isn't the most secure or robust solution for the time being. I would also second the use of a cloud service instead, for performance, simplicity AND security reasons.

Put copies of the photos on an USB Thumbdrive. If the thumb drive has a switch to turn off write or lock the drive do so.

Plug the USB drive into your router.

Set up read only accounts with reasonably secure password(s) for the folders on the drive containing the photos.

Forward port 21 to the private IP address of the router with the drive installed.

If your router has a setting turn off the forward of port 21 during certain hours then do that for hours when no one would you know would want to be downloading or viewing the photos.

For family photos this should be enough security. Worst case if someone with way to much time on their hands wants to deface your photos then all you need to do is put new copies on the USB drive and change your password.

I have copies of my photos on a USB drive which I plug in when I traveling and might want to bore someone with a slide show.

You can share files (and possibly folders - I never looked on that one) using AiCloud. However AiCloud isn't the most secure or robust solution for the time being. I would also second the use of a cloud service instead, for performance, simplicity AND security reasons.

Thanks Merlin....I guess I was under the impression more people were using the FTP features of the Asus routers....of course being mindful of the recent news of "issues" with the out of the box configuration and patches that were applied to fix that:)

Thanks also to CaptainSTX for providing tips on configuring FTP....I don't keep a USB drive attached permanently so I guess this is just a temporary issue...but just trying to be secure as possible when it is:)

Thanks Merlin....I guess I was under the impression more people were using the FTP features of the Asus routers....of course being mindful of the recent news of "issues" with the out of the box configuration and patches that were applied to fix that:)

Thanks also to CaptainSTX for providing tips on configuring FTP....I don't keep a USB drive attached permanently so I guess this is just a temporary issue...but just trying to be secure as possible when it is:)

The problem with FTP is......it's not secure FTP. It's just plain 'ol FTP. When you or someone else sends their FTP username and password over the internet to login to the FTP server on the router, the username and password is transmitted without encryption.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2043...-when-you-use-an-unsecured-wi-fi-hotspot.html

Some people are ok with it and some are not. It varies from person to person on how much risk they are willing to accept.

I don't use it for that reason. It's so much easier to use the cloud service (I use One Drive). For videos, I usually just put them on YouTube and set them as private.....and send a link.

Last edited:
The problem with FTP is......it's not secure FTP. It's just plain 'ol FTP. When you or someone else sends their FTP username and password over the internet to login to the FTP server on the router, the username and password is transmitted without encryption.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2043...-when-you-use-an-unsecured-wi-fi-hotspot.html

Some people are ok with it and some are not. It varies from person to person on how much risk they are willing to accept.

I don't use it for that reason. It's so much easier to use the cloud service (I use One Drive). For videos, I usually just put them on YouTube and set them as private.....and send a link.

Very good info.....and very true.....guess I could also zip them up and encrypt that file as well....but as we all know....if someone wants ur data...they'll find a way unfortunately.