What's new

Need to figure out the best set up

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RootPC

New Around Here
Hello, I'm a pretty moderate gamer and Internet user (I'm on the computer almost all day, so I need good stable internet).

The only issue is, the current setup I have is a 3 hop system, where it goes from the main router, to a router in a garage, and then to a wireless network extender in the guest house I'm staying in. As you can probably guess, the speeds are bad, and reliability is horrible, with any of the 3 giving out at random times.

I personally want to hardwire some cat5e or cat6, but my uncle and father won't let me do that, with having to burly it, and run it through the guest house cleanly. The only other solution I see is PowerLine or MoCA.

The issue I see with PowerLine is that it would have to go through 3 breakers, in which signal would, in theory, degrade at each breaker, if it even gets to the guest house at all.

The issue I see with MoCA is that we use the coax for cable TV, and I'm not sure how many problems would occur with that on the same line as MoCA.

Any suggestions would help, thanks.

First, how does it get from the main router to the router in the garage? Wired or wireless?
My first choice in your situation, given your constraints would be to use MOCA. MOCA can coexist with cable TV. If that can not work in your situation then I would use a point to point wireless bridge that is wired back to the main network. The point to point system can be very effective if you can get line of site. This means ideally mounting the antenna on the outside of the structures with nothing in between them.

First, how does it get from the main router to the router in the garage? Wired or wireless?
My first choice in your situation, given your constraints would be to use MOCA. MOCA can coexist with cable TV. If that can not work in your situation then I would use a point to point wireless bridge that is wired back to the main network. The point to point system can be very effective if you can get line of site. This means ideally mounting the antenna on the outside of the structures with nothing in between them.

The current setup is wireless from the main to the one in the garage, and wireless from the garage to the network extender in the guest house.

I do have a diagram showing how everything is setup and the constraints I have, like walls and the sort. I'll edit this post with the picture in a few seconds.

Would you be kind and explain how a point to point system would work? I'm not sure if it would be possible in the situation I have, but the diagram might be able to help in visualizing everything.

Ok, here's that diagram I was talking about.

5PmfVpE.jpg

Oops, sorry for the double post, I thought I was in edit on the above post, but I guess not

The current setup is wireless from the main to the one in the garage, and wireless from the garage to the network extender in the guest house.

I do have a diagram showing how everything is setup and the constraints I have, like walls and the sort. I'll edit this post with the picture in a few seconds.

Would you be kind and explain how a point to point system would work? I'm not sure if it would be possible in the situation I have, but the diagram might be able to help in visualizing everything.

A point to point system involves two wireless devices that talk just to each other. So it is a dedicated bridge. So you would wire one of them to your network in the house. Then wire the other one to the network in your guest house. The network in your guest house could just be the wireless bridge and a wireless AP (wireless AP to broadcast wireless in your guest house). The wireless bridge devices work best when you mount them on the outside of a structure (your house and guest house) under an eve or something. They need to be pointed at each other with nothing in the way of the wireless beam (no trees or anything for best results). When set up properly they can perform excellently (sometimes even better than MOCA). MOCA is easier to set up though as there is a little bit involved in a wireless bridge (mounting, running cable, picking a channel not used by your other wireless AP's). Anyway they usually start in price at about $50 each. Depending on how much speed you need will also determine price.
A pretty good small one (wireless AC bridge) is this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SQG15VI/?tag=snbforums-20
That one is only about 5inches around.
If you don't need as much speed you can get one like this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004EHSV4W/?tag=snbforums-20
It is also small. There are other brands too, but Ubiquiti is one I am familiar with.
You would of course need two, one on each structure.

Hmm, there are several issues I see with the PTP system, one being having to mount it somewhere on the main house, without it getting wet. I'd also have to wire it either through the roof to the porch cover, or on top of the roof, in which it'd be nicer to just hardwire it if I'd have to run line anyway.

I think MoCA is the way to go, I just hope there's no roadblocks in the current cabling setup (we get mice in the winter all the time that like to hide. The guest house is a garage that was remodeled into a house. Paper thin walls and such).

Now to figure out which system would be better to use. I hear there is basically only one company now that makes MoCA boxes. I'm not 100% sure though.

Those point to point radios I referenced can take rain, no problem. They are made for outdoors. But I think MOCA is better if you can get it working.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!