What's new

Netgear Nighthawk X10 or Asus RT-AC5300?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lowey

New Around Here
Hi SmallNetBuilders!!!

Thanks for taking the time to read my question and give me a hand.

I live in Australia and am getting connected to our new "fast" broadband network called the NBN, which purportedly offers speeds up to 100 mbps (sad I know). Anyways, I'm taking this chance to upgrade to a newer wireless router that can handle multiple heavy simultaneous user access and that can be a bit more future proof.

I currently have the Nighthawk X6, but was looking at either upgrade to the Netgear Nighthawk X10 or Asus RT-AC5300.

I have read reviews (incl. the ones on SNB), but I still can't really decide between the two. For example, apparently the Asus router has loads of evidence of solid WiFi and Wired performance, whereas the Netgear being new doesn't have a lot of speedtest results, but does have a quad-core processor.

Basically, we have up to maybe 6 people in the house at any one time, with each doing either YouTube / Netflix / PS4 online gaming.

Which router do you guys think I should go for?

Thanks.

Why do you want to upgrade? What is not working?

If you have the X6, I doubt you'll see any improvement with the ones on your list

Thanks for the fast reply @thiggins and @microchip - much appreciated!

I guess it's not so much about things not working. It was more that I'm not overly impressed with how the QoS on the X6 handles multiple people do more demanding things on the network at a time. I know there are a lot of variables that can impact this, but I thought that with improvements in router tech (esp quad core processor in the X10 and MU-MIMO in both), it might be able to load balance better.

As part of the new internet service, we will also be watching the bundled IPTV, so load balancing is going to be even more of an issue.

So does this mean that even with the new tech built into the newer routers, I may not necessarily experience better QoS / load balancing? (none of my current devices have MIMO support, but in the future I'm sure that I will be getting MIMO-enabled devices).

Thanks for the fast reply @thiggins and @microchip - much appreciated!

I guess it's not so much about things not working. It was more that I'm not overly impressed with how the QoS on the X6 handles multiple people do more demanding things on the network at a time. I know there are a lot of variables that can impact this, but I thought that with improvements in router tech (esp quad core processor in the X10 and MU-MIMO in both), it might be able to load balance better.

As part of the new internet service, we will also be watching the bundled IPTV, so load balancing is going to be even more of an issue.

So does this mean that even with the new tech built into the newer routers, I may not necessarily experience better QoS / load balancing? (none of my current devices have MIMO support, but in the future I'm sure that I will be getting MIMO-enabled devices).

Are you sure the IPTV will be sharing the same bandwidth as your regular internet?
I had IPTV many years ago when it was first introduced and it either worked on a different line or different protocol altogether and had no effect on my regular internet bandwidth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Elisha. I'm pretty sure the IPTV will be sharing the same bandwidth as regular internet, because although the ISP is reselling it, the content itself comes from another service kind of akin to Netflix. On this IPTV website it says that there's a minimum amount of speed required.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!