What's new

Netgear R6100

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

truoc

Regular Contributor
Hey all! I know this router was just announced a few days ago, but does anyone have one yet by chance or done any tests with one? I don't necessarily need a new router at the moment, but the price point of this AC router has my attention. I know it is only 10/100 for wired, but a simple switch can fix that. Also really liking the design of the R series routers and the fact that I really haven't used Netgear stuff, but have had recommendations by friends to try them. Thanks!

Seems more than odd that, if the WiFi side can, with 11ac, enable IP layer speeds in excess of 100Mbps, then why would this product have 10/100 only ethernet ports? Maybe a humungous typo?

It would help a lot of consumers if WiFi vendors would STOP saying things like WiFi speeds of 1Gbps - rather than the true, after-overhead yield at the IP layer of a fraction of that. This applies to any 802.1xxx. Consumers don't know.

My experience with Netgear WiFi over many, many years, many products, is negative.
Good switches.

Last edited:
Seems more than odd that, if the WiFi side can, with 11ac, enable IP layer speeds in excess of 100Mbps, then why would this product have 10/100 only ethernet ports? Maybe a humungous typo?

It would help a lot of consumers if WiFi vendors would STOP saying things like WiFi speeds of 1Gbps - rather than the true, after-overhead yield at the IP layer of a fraction of that. This applies to any 802.1xxx. Consumers don't know.

My experience with Netgear WiFi over many, many years, many products, is negative.
Good switches.

Thanks for your reply! I really really wonder why it includes only 10/100 ethernet ports as well. Everywhere I have looked though it says 10/100 so unless Netgear made a big mistake I guess it's correct, unfortunately. All is not lost though if you use a switch, just another thing to add to the mix though. Sorry to hear that your experience with Netgear over the years hasn't been very good. I know some of my relatives use a Netgear and one of my best friends recommends nothing but Netgear. Everyone's mileage may vary of course. Currently using an Asus router and it is working quite well, but I'm getting the itch to try out wireless AC and get an adapter so this cheaper AC router caught my eye. Thanks!

10/100 is not a typo, it is what the product has. To reach the aggressive $100 price point NETGEAR needed to save some money.

This isn't the first time a vendor has put Ethernet ports in a product that don't match the number on the box. There are still 500 Mbps powerline adapters with 10/100 ports. And plenty of N300/600 routers with only 10/100 ports.

Thanks for your reply! I really really wonder why it includes only 10/100 ethernet ports as well. Everywhere I have looked though it says 10/100 so unless Netgear made a big mistake I guess it's correct, unfortunately. All is not lost though if you use a switch, just another thing to add to the mix though Thanks!

The switch will help PCs/NASes that are all wired to the switch.
It won't solve the possible bottleneck problem at the router's LAN ports - but only IF the WiFi clients can need/use over 100Mbps of IP layer throughput - which, 11ac or not, is hard to do in practical use.

Still, very screwy to have 10/100 ports on an 11ac WiFi router, the hype it as gigabit wireless. Lotta B.S.

10/100 is not a typo, it is what the product has. To reach the aggressive $100 price point NETGEAR needed to save some money.

This isn't the first time a vendor has put Ethernet ports in a product that don't match the number on the box. There are still 500 Mbps powerline adapters with 10/100 ports. And plenty of N300/600 routers with only 10/100 ports.

That point crossed my mind, but I wasn't entirely sure that was the case. Thanks for the clarification! Any chance you will be doing a review on this particular model or thoughts on it? Thanks.

The switch will help PCs/NASes that are all wired to the switch.
It won't solve the possible bottleneck problem at the router's LAN ports - but only IF the WiFi clients can need/use over 100Mbps of IP layer throughput - which, 11ac or not, is hard to do in practical use.

Still, very screwy to have 10/100 ports on an 11ac WiFi router, the hype it as gigabit wireless. Lotta B.S.

Thanks for the clarification!

How much can a gigabit BGA cost as compared to 100mbit, those components are likely to only cost the company a few cents each, why not add the gigabit switch BGA and charge $101 instead of $100?

Mainly referring to the chip that actually handles the switching (due to the pin density they often use a ball grid array and reflow solder them to a PCB)

they are not very expensive

MgtLxZh.jpg

Ball Grid Array chip package; I'm familiar with that. WiFi chips: I suppose there are only 6 or so suppliers.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!