What's new

Netgear R6300v2 review

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tsun

Occasional Visitor
Any chance? From what I've heard it's significantly improved, faster CPU, better performance, slimmer case - would love to see a review from SNB :)

Where have you heard that the V2 has better performance?

V2 has 2nd gen Broadcom CPU which brings USB 3.0. Radios are the same.

I'll see if I can get a sample.

Right, but they could have improved firmware, drivers or something. Basically every Broadcom based AC router has BCM4360 radio, but their performances still vary

Last edited:
Seems they added beamforming and a few other features.

Some of the original R6300 performance issues were due to the CPU and wifi drivers.

Would love to see some benchmarks. (Will be buying one soon)

Also has there ever been a router with USB 3.0 that can actually transfer data rates high enough to exceed what USB 2.0 can do?

I have 2 R6300v2 s, 1 as a router and 1 as a bridge. I am very happy with them.

Over a year ago, I went from my trusted DIR-655 to 2 x R6300 v1 s. They were pretty flakey in performance with lots of time outs and drop outs. I sold both and went to an Asus RT-666u and while that router was fine I could not get it to work on bridge mode and I could not get other routers in bridge mode to work with it. Also, I found that things that were easy to tweak in the R6300 were difficult or simply not there with the RT-66U. Specifically, I like to set static IPs and label them. That is easy in with Netgear and hard with Asus.

Now that I have my R6300v2 s I think I'm set. They have been rock solid with no issues whatsoever. I have seen no drop off in performance versus the Asus so I think Small Net Builder should test them because they might be a very good choice right now. Just my opinion having owned them for a month.

Ok. Requesting review sample from NETGEAR

Sorry to bug, were you able to get ahold of one? It would be great to see what has changed in the R6300v2.
As always, thanks!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!