What's new

Netgear?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Amadeus1756

Occasional Visitor
Considering a Netgear NAS but looking at the forum it's not particularly active with hardly any input from Netgear staff other than from what seems to be an ex employee.
Does anyone know what the status is? I've not been enamoured with Netgear phone support in the past and this doesn't seem to help.

Thanks

I worked hard and long to choose the NAS I have. And I'm pleased.
For me, the Netgear, IOmega, Buffalo, LG, Seagate - are mass marketed and for me, not at all what I wanted.

I suggest you study up on Synology and QNAP; maybe Thecus. Each has on-line demos you can use. These companies do only NASes and do it well.

Opinion alert: I had a Netgear some time ago and its software was so bad it was laughable. They and others sell NASes as a part of a broader product line - so they just tag it onto the parade of products that pay for shelf space at retail.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your input.

TBH, I was looking at the QNap TS-269Pro as well but the netgear provides snapshots which I felt would be useful and also offers a 5yr warranty which made me think that they were treating the business seriously. It is also *considerably* cheaper than than QNap (I am looking for a small NAS initially to see what the manufacturer is like, then will get something considerably larger, relegating the initial NAS to the backup NAS - so QNap 879 vs Netgear 516 - something like £700 difference albeit 2 bays different).

The Netgear OS review on this very site was complimentary, tho I do appreciate that it takes a lot of playing around to notice some bugs - if there are bugs that can be identified quickly, they should have been fixed unless they're insignificant.

Still not decided but was just trying to get the low down on what happened with Netgear support - it's currently looking like a very black mark, despite the much more reasonable warranty.

I was in a similar predicament. I was looking at Netgear, QNAP, and Synology. I wanted a 4 bay NAS with an Atom processor.

I was very tempted by the new and improved OS from Netgear. It evidently has the latest Linux OS. Of course, QNAP just did a major refresh to their OS (even if it is still based on EXT4).

I just kept waiting for the best sale available. Ultimately, I bought the QNAP 569L at a great price.

I can't speak with much authority because I am still learning and have not touched the Netgear. However, it seems like QNAP and Synology provide more apps.

Personally, I liked the idea of buying from an American company versus a Chinese firm. I wish there was more reviews on the Netgear...at the time I was looking at the 314.

One of the things that scares me about the QNap support is that a lot seems to be done via Skype and IM, with some people saying that they initiate support requests but nothing happens. It just seems haphazard.
Netgear support is outsourced and from my experience can be frustrating but at least there is a formality - a ticket number, escalation etc.
The synology devices seem physically flimsy to me - a lot of plastic.

The only app I really want to run is subversion and that is available for all, so it's not in the decision process.

My current feeling is that I will go with the netgear, hammer it for a week or so and if I'm not happy, I can use UK distance selling regulations to send it back if I don't like it.

As you said, shame there are not more reviews - I've not seen any for the atom or i3 devices.

As you said, shame there are not more reviews - I've not seen any for the atom or i3 devices.
NETGEAR has been slow to provide 300 and 500 series review samples. I have a 516 waiting in queue now, however. Still no 300, though.

Thanks Tim, I assumed Netgear would send review samples out to the respected sites such as SNB first. You'd have thought that they'd do it soon after product release but maybe (putting cynical hat on for a sec) they thought they'd get a couple of firmware updates out having got some more real world testing since launch.

I look forward to reading your views, "when it's done"

Rgds

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!