What's new

New 5+ drive NAS advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jramskov

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I have a ReadyNAS NV+, which have served me well for some years, but it's not exactly the fastest NAS in the world and furthermore the backup schedules sometimes fails for odd reasons. In regards to performance, I think most newer NAS boxes will perform A LOT better than my old NV+.

Therefore I'm looking at replacing it with a new NAS and would really like the input from this great community!

1. Noise: Though I want performance, low noise is more important.
2. Power: I want it to be as energy friendly as possible (low power).
3. Space: The reason I want a 5 bay (or more) NAS is that I want to be able to expand my disk space. I expect to start with 4x2TB disks in raid5 or maybe 5 disks in raid 6 for added protection.
4. In regards to #3, what 2TB disks would you recommend when you take #1 and #2 into consideration?
5. Encrypted remote access? I would really like SFTP access!

So far, I'm slightly hooked on the Synology DS1010+ but would like to hear some comments?!

Also, after reading the DX510 review (http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/...gy-dx510-disk-station-expansion-unit-reviewed), I'm worried about that box. Specifically this part:

Although the printed User's Guide says that the DX510 will be turned on or off automatically by its companion Disk Station, I found only the auto power-off works.

You'll need to manually hit the front panel power button on the DX510 and let the drives spin up before turning on the companion NAS. This is especially important if you configure a volume consisting of drives both in the main NAS and in the DX510.

You get a warning that you'll lose such a volume if the DX510 is powered off or disconnected, which I confirmed by getting a corrupt volume when checking to see if the DX510 powered on automatically when I turned on the DS1010+ it was connected to.

So if I buy a 1010+ and at a later date expand my volume to a DX510, I run a serious risk of losing my data?! EDIT: Seems to be fixed according to what I've read on the Synology forums.

ADDED:
Btw. Anyone got a guess whether Synology will launch an updated version in the relatively near future?

2ND ADD:
Support? I've found the Infrant/Netgear support to be great and they've actually just recently released a new firmware which also supports my quite old ReadyNAS NV+. How do you rate Synology and the others in that regard?

Last edited:
The new Ultra 6, or even a Pro 6 would be fantastic - the ultra would be cheaper.

MUCH faster than your NV+

Best,
Roger.

The Ultra 6 does indeed look interesting, though I wonder how it compares to the Synology in regards to features? The new Synology interface seems so much nicer.

I've been quite satisfied with my ReadyNAS, so I certainly wouldn't mind buying another one.

Currently I'm quite fond of the Synology 1010+ and Synology's new userinterface and I don't really see any reason to choose the Ultra 6 over the 1010+?