What's new

New AC68U firmware available on Asus Site -3.0.0.4.374.371

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Why dont Asus look into the fact they still have no ipv6 firewall. At this point its just crazy make a expensive router and leave out a very important feature. :mad: You should be paying Merlin for doing your job because had he not firewalled v6 i would have returned my Asus for another brand.

It's all about priorities. Asus is currently devoting resources in fixing existing issues that prevents the router from working at its full potential (including many IPv6-related issues if you look at the latest changelog). I'm sure this is something they will eventually get around to.

To be honest, the majority of home routers out there don't seem to have a configurable IPV6 firewall either. On the custom FW front, Tomato doesn't. DD-WRT doesn't either.

IPv6 is something that is still quite young, and manufacturers are still only beginning to really implement it. And ISPs aren't making it easy either, as some of them still have quite buggy/quirky/hackish deployment - when they do actually have it deployed.

Thanks for the reply Merlin but some of us including myself have had native ipv6 working for well over a year and it seems strange Asus has not even addressed it yet, it may be new to some but for others they have had it working for quite some time. If I was in the market for a new router and I was looking at buying a Asus router and seen it had no v6 firewall at all I would put it back on the shelf. How hard can it be to install a firewall for v6 I mean after all you did it. But Asus them self should have done this by now bottom line.

It does seem better and after 24 hours there doesn't seem to be speed deterioration on any of the bands as there was in the previous firmware.

There might be some fixes in .371, but this particular issue with 2.4Ghz is still a work in progress. It is a high priority issue.

If anyone is still having issues on 2.4Ghz dropping to low speeds, try setting channel bandwidth to 20Mhz.

In my testing 2.4ghz is deteriorating if a wall or object is blocking line of sight. With .371 the throughput is good in line of sight. I am using an RT-AC66U as AP of the AC68U for now to reach other rooms. AC66U is giving 70-80 % better performance behind walls on similar setting different channel.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Merlin but some of us including myself have had native ipv6 working for well over a year and it seems strange Asus has not even addressed it yet, it may be new to some but for others they have had it working for quite some time. If I was in the market for a new router and I was looking at buying a Asus router and seen it had no v6 firewall at all I would put it back on the shelf. How hard can it be to install a firewall for v6 I mean after all you did it. But Asus them self should have done this by now bottom line.

The router already has ip6tables. I've been bringing up the v6 firewall with a script for a while now. making it deny new incoming connections is like 3 lines of code. The only problem is that it's not persistent in the stock firware.

Hi Asusnet, when do you think AC56U will get a similar (.371) update?

thanks!

Sadly doesnt this firmware help on the very ppor performance of my AC68U. It is the b*tch of my bridge to my Philips Hue lamps when I am two rooms away from it (cant even go on the internet over its wifi).

I have tried to look in these forums for a "fix" to the very poor/unstable performance of my RT-AC68U, but sadly haven't found anything that helps... tried to increase the mA, disable beamforming and give it "clear" channels... but nothing helps. My gf can sit in the couch around 3 meters away from it on her iPhone and the connection will drop when she uses facetime.

Hoped it was something a firmware could fix, but atm am I considering sending it back as it is close unusable (But it works perfect over cable)

Sadly doesnt this firmware help on the very ppor performance of my AC68U. It is the b*tch of my bridge to my Philips Hue lamps when I am two rooms away from it (cant even go on the internet over its wifi)
I have tried to look in these forums for a "fix" to the very poor/unstable performance of my RT-AC68U, but sadly haven't found anything that helps... tried to increase the mA, disable beamforming and give it "clear" channels... but nothing helps. My gf can sit in the couch around 3 meters away from it on her iPhone and the connection will drop when she uses facetime.

Hoped it was something a firmware could fix, but atm am I considering sending it back as it is close unusable (But it works perfect over cable)

I suggest you do a reset then a nvram erase and enter your settings manually. Test 2.4ghz on channel 1, 6 or 11 depending on which channel is not congested in your area, 20mhz and 5ghz on 157 80mhz, if it still does not give u a stable connection you could take a call. I have 2 of these and am using 2 ac 66us which are super stable.

Last edited:
I suggest you do a reset then a nvram erase and enter your settings manually. Test 2.4ghz on channel 1, 6 or 11 depending on which channel is not congested in your area, 20mhz and 5ghz on 157 80mhz, if it still does not give u a stable connection you could take a call. I have 2 of these and am using 2 ac 66us which are super stable.

I will try this when I get home as it can only help :) I will come back with the result..

BTW: clear nvram is done how (or is it just the restore feature)?

I will try this when I get home as it can only help :) I will come back with the result..

BTW: clear nvram is done how (or is it just the restore feature)?
Connect to your router with a lan cable
Go to administration
Enable telnet
Download a free software called putty
Enter your router ip
Login with your router login and password in the screen that comes up.
Type
mtd-erase2 nvram
nvram commit

Then power cycle

Then enter settings.

Last edited:
Upnp.... Couldn't get it to forward to my xbox with multiple attempts on 371. I was able to get the port to finally forward to my xbox by bouncing the wan connection.

Q... Is there a cli command to restart upnp manually without bouncing the wan?

There might be some fixes in .371, but this particular issue with 2.4Ghz is still a work in progress. It is a high priority issue.

If anyone is still having issues on 2.4Ghz dropping to low speeds, try setting channel bandwidth to 20Mhz.

Thank you for this advice - I will try it tonight as I'm getting wildy different 2.4Ghz speeds at the moment.

My gf can sit in the couch around 3 meters away from it on her iPhone and the connection will drop when she uses facetime.

If she haven't updated her iPhone to IOS7.0.4, update it. The latest IOS fixed facetime's bugs.

Just tried it. Couldnt get Putty to connect, so I used the telnet in Windows and ran:

Code:
ASUSWRT RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4 Mon Nov 18 06:05:22 UTC 2013
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# mtd-erase2 nvram
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# nvram commit
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root#

Did a power cycle (Guess it is take the power from the router i 3+ minutes?) and started it up again.
The settings were stil the same on the mainpage of the router, so not sure if it have resat or not. Change the channel to 1 as there is wifi on channel 1, 7 and 11 in the area, but 1 is the weakest.
Changed also to 20MHz for 2.4G and 80MHz for 5G.

Using Wifi Analyser for Android on my Samsung S4 to check the signal strength and still does the little bridge for my Phillips Hue lamps have better signal strength than the AC68U.

I just ran a little ping test from the location which is two rooms away and it looks a lot like before. Have now tried to change to TX power til 100 mW for the 2.4GHz to see if that does change anything.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!