What's new

New AC68U firmware available on Asus Site -3.0.0.4.374.371

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi All,

Unfortunately, the firmware update is not likely to release this week for the RT-AC68U. I am sorry to those anticipating this firmware. The upcoming firmware is on based on a new SDK and we a little more time to test it before it is released to the public. I cannot state an exact ETA at this time, but I am hoping by the next two weeks (could be sooner!).

I do have beta versions available, which have received positive results. I will not be releasing these betas publicly. If you wish to try the beta firmware, please contact me via private message.

Note: We are not forgetting the RT-AC56U! I do not have a beta yet for this model, but feel free to message me. I will try to provide a copy when available.

Take your time.

Sent a message:D

I moved a few replies concerning the Beta into the dedicated Beta thread.

Hi All,

Unfortunately, the firmware update is not likely to release this week for the RT-AC68U. I am sorry to those anticipating this firmware. The upcoming firmware is on based on a new SDK and we a little more time to test it before it is released to the public. I cannot state an exact ETA at this time, but I am hoping by the next two weeks (could be sooner!).

I do have beta versions available, which have received positive results. I will not be releasing these betas publicly. If you wish to try the beta firmware, please contact me via private message.

Note: We are not forgetting the RT-AC56U! I do not have a beta yet for this model, but feel free to message me. I will try to provide a copy when available.
Have PM'd you over the weekend asking to try the new Beta version. After rock-solid stability with my AC68U for weeks the last week has sucked. I am getting ready to wipe the NVRAM, reflash it and rebuild my configuration from scratch after capturing screenshots with my cell phone camera (I just find it easier). Help!

I just bought this router in hopes it performs better than my Cisco EA4500 did. Based off the reviews it looks like it will, but what some of you are saying I worry that it won't. Beta software helping at all with the wi-fi issues I'm reading about? I haven't had any so far, but then again its only been about an hour and a half or so.

Streaming 1080p via USB3 attached enclosure

Hello to all:

I apologize if this is not the correct location to post this. I am looking at picking up the ASUS AC68 router. My two main requirements are to be able to stream 1080p movies via an attached USB3 external HD enclosure, which I will attach to the USB3 port. I also want to be able to access my storage remotely via the openvpn server. I was just wondering if anyone else out there is doing this and if the USB3 read speeds are fast enough. Also, is the openvpn server stable at this point for remote access?

Thanks a bunch.

Hello to all:

I apologize if this is not the correct location to post this. I am looking at picking up the ASUS AC68 router. My two main requirements are to be able to stream 1080p movies via an attached USB3 external HD enclosure, which I will attach to the USB3 port. I also want to be able to access my storage remotely via the openvpn server. I was just wondering if anyone else out there is doing this and if the USB3 read speeds are fast enough. Also, is the openvpn server stable at this point for remote access?

Thanks a bunch.

It works for most people.

I set up an FTP server in the router and use VLC media player to stream movies. VLC player let's me fast forward the movies at any given time with out the need of buffering half the movie.

The down side, my upload speed is not fast enough to stream movies larger then 3gb. So you'll need a 1MB/s upload speed on your home internet provider.

Let me clarify. I am not streaming from the net. I am streaming the ripped blu rays and dvds I have stored on the attached USB3 enclosure. As long as the USB3 read speed is decent enough I should be fine. Anyone out there using the open VPN server?

Let me clarify. I am not streaming from the net. I am streaming the ripped blu rays and dvds I have stored on the attached USB3 enclosure. As long as the USB3 read speed is decent enough I should be fine. Anyone out there using the open VPN server?

I understand, you want to stream movies..lets say to your laptop at Starbucks. You will need good upload speed even if you use VPN, and a download speed to match it.

The larger the movie, the more Upload bandwidth you will need from your home modem.

If a movie is 4GB, 2 hours long and you can upload it at full bandwidth in 1 hour, then you have sufficient bandwidth. But if it takes you 3 hours to upload it, then you wont be able to watch it, because it will be constantly buffering.

USB speed if fast enough, it all comes down to your upload speed. Unless you want to stream a 40GB file, then USB wont be able to keep up.

Last edited:
An USB 3.0 disk can push around 50 MB/s in read speed from that router - more than enough for LAN streaming of high definition content.

I understand, you want to stream movies..lets say to your laptop at Starbucks. You will need good upload speed even if you use VPN.

I think the two things are separate. He wants to stream 1080p movies within his local network (from a USB3 drive, which is why he asked if it would work) and he also wants to have VPN. But not necessarily streaming those movies over his internet connection using said VPN.

I haven't used the VPN myself, so I can't answer that. But I can stream 1080p rips even from a USB2 drive.

Edit: Merlin beat me to it. But yeah, 1080p video doesn't even come close to 30MB/s, which you'd get from a USB2 drive. USB3 could maybe even handle more than one, if you have a drive that's pretty good at non-sequential reads (though I dunno if the router could handle it, and I haven't tested anything of the sort).

Last edited:
I think the two things are separate. He wants to stream 1080p movies within his local network (from a USB3 drive, which is why he asked if it would work) and he also wants to have VPN. But not necessarily streaming those movies over his internet connection using said VPN.

I haven't used the VPN myself, so I can't answer that. But I can stream 1080p rips even from a USB2 drive.

Edit: Merlin beat me to it. But yeah, 1080p video doesn't even come close to 30MB/s, which you'd get from a USB2 drive. USB3 could maybe even handle more than one, if you have a drive that's pretty good at non-sequential reads (though I dunno if the router could handle it, and I haven't tested anything of the sort).

He will have to clarify it, because he did mention accessing files remotely.

I sincerely apologize for all the confusion. Yes, I was talking about streaming from within my home LAN to my various devices, such as laptops and tablets, so the internet connection is not a concern.

I would also like to be able to access my storage remotely via the openvpn server when not as home. Since, this is a relatively new feature I was just wondering if it was stable and worked. I am not looking to stream via the VPN, just access my files (MS office, pictures etc...)

To be honest I was originally looking at the Netgear r7000, but the last two firmware releases by them have been disastrous according to the forums. Since ASUS added the openVPN server I am now leaning towards the AC68.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Maybe this will help someone else. After resetting my router the GUI went super slow to respond in IE and Firefox. I would go to the IP and it would just spin until I turned off the router then the login screen would come up. If I left it for a long time alone the login would come up but was painfully slow. I even reverted it back to the original .205 firmware and still super slow to respond.

Before you think it was my computer I tried it wired and wireless on my desktop and laptop. Used 2 different browsers. Reset it dozens of times and was about ready to smash with hammer. Restored several different versions of firmware and still was slow.

The first time I accessed it with my iphone and went to the GUI in safari poof I was able to log in with IE and Firefox. I messed with it for hours and swore I was going to have to RMA the router.

New 4G USB Modem Huawei E5776

Hi
I have a 4G USB-modem, Huawei E5776 that is not in the list over supported devices.
It does not work with automatic either.

My question is when this device will be supported in my ac68u ?

Best Regards
/Kris

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!