What's new

NEW Amped Wireless R10000 600mW wifi 'tests' inside

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

njweb

I received my Amped Wireless R10000 wireless router 8 days ago but only just got around to hooking it up tonight.
Hopefully the following mini 'review' will help some here.

In a word (re. wifi performance): Wow!

I tested wifi connections to the R10000 router all over the house, after first taking the same % and dBM equivalent measurements in each location using a laptop with a RNX-N2X USB wifi adapter and my Linksys E4200 router.

All measurements were taken using the Windows 7 laptop mentioned above as the wireless client, unless otherwise noted.

Linksys E4200 router wifi signal strength measurements:
Bedroom

43 dBM

Dining room
-62 dBM
-53 dBM with range extender

Living room
-62 dBM (70%)

Family room
-64 to -66 dBM (= 60% strength or less)

Amped Wireless R10000 wifi signal strength measurements:
Bedroom
-33 dBM

Dining room

-49 dBM (100%)

Living room

-49 dBM (100%)
Panasonic Blu Ray with built-in wifi adapter = 5 bars!

Family Room (furthest room - complete opposite corner of house and one floor down from the router):
-51 dBM (99%)!!!
Windows 7 laptop reports 5 bars of signal strength still!
270 Mbps link rate (40 MHz bandwidth is the default setting on the router).
Panasonic Blu Ray with built-in wifi adapter = 4 bars!

The connection has also been very stable so far (limited use but no disconnects).

If someone can suggest a tool to test real word throughput, I would be happy to test it.

One thing to note is that the router is very small and light.
The one downside to this is, given the way the antennae hook up you are better off placing it on it's side, is that the CAT 5 LAN cables are pulling at it and threatening to topple it at the slightest pull on the cable.

EDIT: I found out by playing with the antenna mechanism, that, so long as you're very careful, there is a way to loosen part of the antenna from the screw end BEFORE you attach it to the router threads. This way you have some wiggle room and can ensure the antennae point straight up (if desired) while still ensuring the antenna as a whole is TIGHTLY connected to the router.

PS: The Amped Wireless measurements above are using the two stock 5 dBI antennae (I did not bother to try the 8dBi I had bought for the Zyxel router I returned).
That is probably a good thing since the router would need to be secured to a wall or in some other way before I would even try to connect those huge antennae.

Now I need to decide if I want to sell my trusty Linksys E4200 and RE1000 range extender or keep them around.
I will first continue to use the Amped Wireless R10000 router for a week or so and see if anything changes.

I like the fact that by not using my RE1000 range extender with the Amped router, I am not slowing down the throughput (all range extenders have this nasty downside), although for my use it is still more than enough with the E4200 alone since I very rarely copy files over the wifi network - I use my router mostly for internet use (15 Mbps cable internet plan and getting 21 Mbps throughout the house via both LAN and WLAN connections).

Last edited:
Nice, I just saw these on the front page and I'm looking for something with range as well.

However I'm not in the USA and would probably have to import one, could you tell me what sort of power it uses ?

If it is Input 100-240V~50/60Hz then that is great, what sort of output does it have in volts (v) and miliamps (mA) all that stuff is usually written on the plug.

Thanks.

Nice, I just saw these on the front page and I'm looking for something with range as well.

However I'm not in the USA and would probably have to import one, could you tell me what sort of power it uses ?

If it is Input 100-240V~50/60Hz then that is great, what sort of output does it have in volts (v) and miliamps (mA) all that stuff is usually written on the plug.

Thanks.

Here are the specs from the power plug:
Input: 100 - 240V~50/60Hz 0.3A
Output: ___
+12V - - - 1A

I may stick with my E4200 and RE1000 if the Amped does not have (SPI) firewall protection built-in, something I started wondering when I noticed the config screens are disabled and they give little guidance on what exactly to block for a typical user.
That being said, I first need to check how the protection on the E4200 compares to that of the R10000. I do know it has IPv4 and IPv6 SPI firewall protection.
I also like having 5 GHz on my E4200 in case I need it (move to an area with more interference or 2.4 GHz gets overly cluttered in my area).

Regardless, I am still EXTREMELY impressed with the R10000's wifi performance though. I think it will eliminate the need for a range extender for most users.

Last edited:
Excellent thank you, I already have suitable power packs that can match that so the router should work with those.

Try iperf to test throughputs. It is free. You will need two computers that are networked, both running iperf from a command line. The following are the requested test parameters from Netgear, run twice from each location in the home, when I tested one of their routers.

Server Computer: iperf -s

Client Computer: iperf -c "Server IP Address" -w 100M -t 30

"Server IP Address" -- eg 192.186.1.9. Do not type quotation marks.

Iperf is very configurable and there are a number of tutorials on the internet via Google. There is also a Java version of iperf, called Jperf, which provides a decent GUI if preferred, though I used iperf in the end.

So do you have the same problem as me with the r10000 that when you apply some setting in the firmware that requires reboot it never actually reboots and you have to power cycle it to commit the changes? Granted once it's setup, its good... it's just annoying.

So do you have the same problem as me with the r10000 that when you apply some setting in the firmware that requires reboot it never actually reboots and you have to power cycle it to commit the changes? Granted once it's setup, its good... it's just annoying.

Not exactly, although I did notice that if I say ' don't restart yet' after making a change (i.e. if I want to make multiple changes) and I subsequently change my mind and don't change anything else, I need to remember to click 'restart' to apply the changes before closing the browser window because the system won't 'remind' you.
I am trying to remember how my other routers handled this scenario.
Not a big deal though, but just because you were asking about committing setting changes

My only concern now is the security settings and whether it includes an SPI firewall by default.
I still need to decide whether to keep it or keep my Cisco Linksys E4200 router and RE1000 range extender pairing...

Try iperf to test throughputs. It is free. You will need two computers that are networked, both running iperf from a command line. The following are the requested test parameters from Netgear, run twice from each location in the home, when I tested one of their routers.

"Server IP Address" -- eg 192.186.1.9. Do not type quotation marks.

Iperf is very configurable and there are a number of tutorials on the internet via Google. There is also a Java version of iperf, called Jperf, which provides a decent GUI if preferred, though I used iperf in the end.

Thanks a lot for the recommendation and instructions!
I will try to do some tests this weekend if I get a chance.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!