What's new

New antennas for Netgear R7000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

xayide

New Around Here
I need to replace the antennas of my R7000. Since this router has booth 2.4 and 5Ghz how do I find antennas which supports both?

I found plink 9dbi which is for 2.4Ghz, are they any good? Any improvements over original?
The location of the router is very flat the height of the coverage is are is +- 1,5m from the routers antenna so the narrow beam of high gain antennas is no problem.

On reading your post, you state that the receiver is approximately 1.5 meters from the router radio antenna in about the same plane. Unless there is some obstruction in between the router transmitter and the receiver device, I do not believe you will see any improvement in wireless performance by changing the antenna. The way to tell that is to measure the signal attenuation (signal strength) at the receiver at different distances from your router transmitter. If the transfer rate does not increase when you move the receiver closer to the router transmitter, you will not benefit from a different antenna.

I suggest that you simply use a CAT6 Ethernet cable between the router and the device. If the device does not have a Ethernet RJ-45 port, perhaps a USB 3.0 patch cable between the devices for that distance?

I have not found any high gain antennas which work to increase the signal of both the 2.4GHz and 5.2/5.8GHz band over the stock antennas simultaneously.

The best I could do was replace one, or two, of the stock antennas with a high gain omnidirectional antenna optimized for 2.4GHz while keeping the stock antennas for the 5.2/5.8GHz band. This gave me a significant improvement in the 2.4GHz band while keeping most, or all, of the 5.2/5.8GHz band performance.

There really are no small, high performance 5.2/5.8GHz antennas that perform better than the stock antennas. The 16dBi 2.4GHz antennas I use work better but are much longer (38-40 cm) than the stock antennas. I am willing to accept that for the performance gain in 2.4GHz. The 5.2/5.8GHz antennas that really outperform the stock antennas are like 4-5X the size of the stock antennas and much more expensive. Plus, they do not readily mount directly to the router, requiring a cable.

No I mean the receiver is within 1.5 meters above or below the router in the vertical plane. For the horizontal plane the distance can be up to 100 meters. Just that the vertical plane is simple no more than about 3 meters so a high gain large narrow beam antenna are no problem since they only have to cover 3 meters vertical but rather 100 meters vertically. I found some rather large TP-LInk antennas that are 9 Dbi which are about 40cm which I consider reasonable. I can go up to 60-70cm without a problem in the place the router are sited. Will the EdiMAX 9dbi do anything for the performance?
I thought somehow the 5.8ghz is 2.4Ghz doubled so it would do wonders on both bands since its a multiple?

Will this work maybe? (admix should be good quality)
http://www.edimax.com/edimax/mercha.../edimax/au/home_wifi_antennas_indoor/ea-io9d/

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!