What's new

New Asus RT-87U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mmh just a sneek from dd-wrt development. and yes i already got a ac87 engineering sample

ac87.png

I saw your commits on it over in the timeline. Figured it was done.

I saw your commits on it over in the timeline. Figured it was done.

not done yet. its a very complex work to get everything to work. especially client mode. the quantenna chipset has a own cpu with a own linux based OS and is just connected by network to the internal broadcom switch of the bcm4709 cpu. so all a little bit complicated compared to real pcie based chipsets

Thanks for the development Brainslayer. I can't wait to get my hands on one only if the price is reasonable.

wow, you have a lot of tabs open.

lol im pushing like 150+ tabs open right now..... lmao its a bad habit.

Just so people know: I can officially announce that Asuswrt-Merlin will also support the RT-AC87U once it launches. I've got almost everything working on it now, I just need to find some spare time to work on the remaining bits (mostly Stealth Mode), and to get a replacement engineering sample due to a problem with the first one (it's on its way). The new DPI engine will come with a cost however - IPSEC support will have to go, due to kernel compatibility issues.

Asus still hasn't announced officially a release date beyond Q3/Q4, nor have they publicly revealed the hardware or software details yet, beside the partnership with Quantenna. I can tell you that you should expect some really nice software additions on the firmware side (I already posted some teasers on these additions in a separate thread).

One bit of news that I can share however, since it was already posted by an Asus representative (JJ) on their DIY blog: the RT-AC87U will be wall mountable.

Asus still hasn't announced officially a release date beyond Q3/Q4, nor have they publicly revealed the hardware or software details yet, beside the partnership with Quantenna. I can tell you that you should expect some really nice software additions on the firmware side (I already posted some teasers on these additions in a separate thread).

Anyone got a link please?

So will the 68r haave the ability to run these new features or is this gonna be one of those you need to upgrade?

So will the 68r haave the ability to run these new features or is this gonna be one of those you need to upgrade?

Technically it does - I've been running them for a while on my own RT-AC68U.

There is some technical issues involved in integrating them in the AC68U however: lack of space in the main firmware partition. There are various ways to work around it - it will depend on whether Asus will find these workarounds acceptable I suppose.

As for me, unless any new issue arises, I do intend to support these on both the AC56 and AC68.

Last edited:
Technically it does - I've been running them for a while on my own RT-AC68U.

There is some technical issues involved in integrating them in the AC68U however: lack of space in the main firmware partition. There are various ways to work around it - it will depend on whether Asus will find these workarounds acceptable I suppose.

As for me, unless any new issue arises, I do intend to support these on both the AC56 and AC68.

Please tell me it'll be running a kernel starting with '3'. The IPSEC note is odd....

Please tell me it'll be running a kernel starting with '3'. The IPSEC note is odd....

Don't get your hopes up, iirc we will still be stuck on the same Frankenstein kernel

The kernel is unchanged, still 2.6.36.4.

IPSEC issue is, because of additional closed source modules being added to the firmware, these new modules will fail to load if too many changes are done to the kernel build options. Enabling IPSEC in the kernel causes such issues. This is typical with Linux kernels and precompiled modules, nothing that can be done about it.

One bit of news that I can share however, since it was already posted by an Asus representative (JJ) on their DIY blog: the RT-AC87U will be wall mountable.

yay! :)

my question. will asus be doing 4X4 2.4GHz with this RT-87U, and if so, will netgear be on there R7500. i got the impression asus wants to do 4X4 2.4GHz just so they can make compatible adapters

where it seems like netgear is taking the approach assuming that no one will want/need 4X4 2.4GHz and just not to bother.......

im also starting to think MU-MIMO will be my choice over XStream as it is a more efficient use of the bandwidth.

gonna keep my RT-AC66U running at the same time. cause i definately need 2 AP's

now i just hope iphone 6 will have MU-MIMO support. been waiting for that sucker :D

iphone 6 MU-MIMO support might actually just be the deciding factor for which platform ill choose.

either way knowing that all 4 of my upcoming options will be wallmountable is great :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!