What's new

New Asus RT-87U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So I feel dumb... I heard about the "wave 2" AC routers coming out some time in the 2nd half of this year but was impatient so I bought an R7000 2 weeks ago. I was very impressed with it initially but lately I've been having issues browsing the internet on my phone (LG G2 - AC 867) which did not exist previously when using an Asus RT-N56u. Now I'm thinking I should bring the Nighthawk back and pick up an AC87u.

I know these routers literally just came out and there is very little user feedback so far, just wondering what the gurus around here think (Merlin, I'm looking at you). Networking isn't a strong area of knowledge for me, I'm more of a PC hardware/software guy. I know the R7000 is very highly rated, I'm not opposed to keeping it but I would hate to regret it later. I know the AC87u's MU-MIMO support requires the use of MU-MIMO adapters which aren't even available yet so there would be little initial benefit, but I've got 2 laptops that are due for wifi upgrades to accompany the new router and don't mind getting new adapters when they're available.

I also realize without a lot of detailed information about the wireless environment, clients, and usage it is difficult to give fully informed, accurate advice but I'm really just looking for advice on these devices from a hardware/software perspective. If however no one feels comfortable answering without more info I understand and will cooperate as best I'm able. A brief rundown: 1 story townhouse ~1100 sq ft, router installed in attic to provide coverage throughout the house. 2 AC clients (both LG G2s), 4 N clients (iPad Gen 3, Apple TV Gen 3, 2 crappy laptop internal 1x1 N clients).

Thanks in advance.

Then why are you in a hurry to see me integrate the 1123 code if it's not as stable? :)

Not in a hurry, just looking forward as you offer more options. And if I remember correct you're gonna integrate a even newer version of the firmware?

The stable issue could be from the jump from your version to Asus without a clean reset.

I've had the Asus RT-AC87R for about 3 days now. The router has been pretty great to me so far. My first AC Router was the Netgear R7000 to which like other users experienced, was buggy. I then went with the Linksys WRT1900AC and was pretty stable but the router would reboot randomly. I feel like the industry is not getting the new "AC" right... I'm not judging off these two routers just been reading a lot of reviews.

Back to the AC87R... So far so good. Set up was easy and i'm on the latest firmware. Great range and speed. Been downloading and streaming HD just fine. Playing Xbox One online with no hiccups. Xbox's NAT network is Open and not strict. The 5GHz network seems a little shaky. Sometimes my HTC One phone would disconnect then reconnect instantly. Don't know if that is my phone or what... I did notice "one" time my laptop was disconnecting also on the 5GHz network but then it would come back on. This product seems so new that it's only at Best Buy. It's not even on Asus's website yet.... If you google Asus RT-AC87R rarely anything comes up. QoS disabled, don't trust it right now. I live in a condo that has a lot of other wireless networks around so I have 2.4GHz on channel 6 and 5GHz between 48 for right now.

I have a 1TB WD My Passport hooked up to the USB 3.0 for streaming DLNA. (hate that it's in the front and it has a plastic cover that sticks out while it's plugged in). I watched a view shows and movies and it streamed great to my Samsung F6300. Fast data transfer speeds as well according to my tests.

I also have my printer server connected via usb 2.0 and the setup of process works fine and no issues there. Computer easily found the printer on the network and installed the driver.

So far I'm liking it over the R7000 and the Linksys WRT1900. What's the difference between the AC87R and U? I need to hear more about this router and other peoples thoughts.

Could somebody do some screenshots of file transfer speed from USB 3.0 port?

I would like to compare it with current R7000 i have here.

Thanks

Could somebody do some screenshots of file transfer speed from USB 3.0 port?

I would like to compare it with current R7000 i have here.

I was getting 50 MB/s read, and 41 MB/s write with a 2.5" USB 3.0 enclosure formatted as NTFS.

Also, this will support ipv6 - 6rd? (firmware)

6rd support has been part of Asuswrt for at least two years now.

Wow! Just setup a RT-AC87U. I have no more than 45 minutes with it but right now all I can say is WOW!. I haven't even updated the Firmware yet, though it says there's a new version available.

I've had all kinds of issues with a couple previous routers due to being in close range to two very close routers that have been screwing up my 5.4Ghz.

Right now, 30-45 minutes after setting this one up, all I can say is WOW! All issues gone.

Out of curiosity, which routers were you replacing with it?

I strongly recommend upgrading your FW to 376_1779. What's currently on the router is actually a beta development version.

RT-AC87U - Best Buy, 07-21-2014. Illinois.

Wow! Just setup a RT-AC87U. I have no more than 45 minutes with it but right now all I can say is WOW!. I haven't even updated the Firmware yet, though it says there's a new version available.

I've had all kinds of issues with a couple previous routers due to being in close range to two very close routers that have been screwing up my 5.4Ghz.

Right now, 30-45 minutes after setting this one up, all I can say is WOW! All issues gone.

Connection, and right to Admin page wirelessly was simple. No need to connect directly via RJ45. And the speed increase was impressive immediately.

Connection from my LT about 200Ft away through walls and on a different level of the house (3,400Sq Ft house) was effortless and full bar power level where I was getting 2-3 before. I walked out to the furthest place in my yard, about 250 ft from the router, through two internal walls, a brick wall, and still had full bar power level. I'm impressed.

I will write more in the next day or two. But right now, all I can say is WOW.

Connection, and right to Admin page wirelessly was simple. No need to connect directly via RJ45. And the speed increase was impressive immediately.

Connection from my LT about 200Ft away through walls and on a different level of the house (3,400Sq Ft house) was effortless and full bar power level where I was getting 2-3 before. I walked out to the furthest place in my yard, about 250 ft from the router, through two internal walls, a brick wall, and still had full bar power level. I'm impressed.

I will write more in the next day or two. But right now, all I can say is WOW.

WOW - i am so glad you love it !

Yay i bought one

my amex had $25 off $250 best buy

I added $50 of gift cards bought with bitcoin at gyft at 3% off

$300 total - $25 - 1%*225 - 3%*$50 - fatwallet 1.5%*300 - selling ac68u - $5 bb rewards card later

Last edited:
It sucks like ac68

I wouldn't say 50 MB/s sucks, considering that many people are using wifi, which typically hits only 30-40 MB/s, assuming they had 802.11ac.

Right now, the only way to get better performance is by buying a real NAS. And no, the peak speeds measured on an WRT1900AC do not count as being "better". First, their HDD compatibility is kinda weak on the WRT1900AC (neither of my two USB3 disks were even detected, which means my best throughout on that router was 0 MB/s), and also that performance would dramatically drop whenever you increase the load on the router.

Nothing beats a real, dedicated NAS if what you need is NAS functionality. For those only looking for basic storage, most modern routers with USB 3.0 ports are "good enough".

BTW, I've tested a very early alpha build of the firmware Tim is talking of. I can't repost numbers, but lets just say that the performance boost isn't just 2-3% better. Think "MUCH" better. The kind you don't need to use a stopwatch to notice the difference.

Can someone tell me if there's any reason to jump to this from a recently purchased AC68U, if I don't plan on upgrading any of my AC clients? For example, will range be noticablly better for N or AC clients?

I'm asking now because I'm approaching the deadline to return my AC68U and go back to my N66U in the meantime...

BTW, I've tested a very early alpha build of the firmware Tim is talking of. I can't repost numbers, but lets just say that the performance boost isn't just 2-3% better. Think "MUCH" better. The kind you don't need to use a stopwatch to notice the difference.

Thanks Merlin! This is great news! If you say that even the Alpha stage is "Much" better I could only hope to see what the beta and final firmware release is like. I was skeptical to buy this router at such an early stage and hope to get my $260 worth by waiting it out. Have to be patient.....

Quote from SmartNetBuilder's recent Asus Annoucment article:
"ASUS' announcement says the router will be available in North America "shortly". But given Best Buy availability now, that must refer to the RT-AC87U model that an ASUS representitive told SmallNetBuilder would be available in "late August"."

Quote from Netgear R8000 review in progress:
"In the meantime, don't be so quick to jump on this or the other "vacation special" that ASUS is trying to get you to buy. They are expensive, the firmware is not stable (especially so right now for the ASUS RT-AC87) and the technology has not been significantly shaken out to ensure trouble-free use. Let someone else take the pain for now."

This scares me but I know they will release better firmware as time goes on. I am running the RT-87R just fine for what I am doing now but obviously could be better.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!