What's new

New Home Construction Network Advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Now that price is much better. I was choking looking at the price of the pfsense 4860. I guess you pay for convenience. You also pay for small form factor. If you have room consider a small server that cost less than the Netgate even.
ThinkServer TS140

Update: I forgot, you would need to order at least one NIC card and maybe a quad card, so no it would not be less than the Netgate listed above, but still a good value.

Factoring in the second NIC (or quad port) and the energy costs... which can add up as the box is up 24/7...

And if one really wanted to go off the range - 2014 MacMini with Server.app and an extra thunderbolt GigE adapter is an option that is under $600USD...

Hmmm, been poking around the pfSense board. For around the same cost or less I could build my own based on a SuperMicro A1SRi-2758F. AES-Ni & Intel QuickAssist.

True - and if you get the ports you need - all the better... IIRC, the Netgate box offers the same features... and it's built and integrated already from a HW perspective...

More than enough for most home/small business needs - it's also sold as the Netgate RCC-VE 2440 appliance.. the only difference between the Netgate and the pfSense is that the pfSense box is pre-flashed and you get tech support for the software...

The 2440 is 1.7 ghz, 2 cores, 4GB RAM
The 4860 is 2.4 ghz. 4 cores, 8GB RAM