What's new

New Router Help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

littlepaws

Occasional Visitor
I currently have a https://www.asus.com/uk/Networking/RTN56U/

We now have virginmedia 150mb broadband and setup the super hub to modem mode.

The WIFI is'nt very good and I have devolo 500 wifi adapter in the very next room.

I am looking for a new router to cover the whole house and do away with the devolo kit.

We hard wire Ethernet a ps4 and a i7 desktop.
2 x laptop's
4 x wifi tv and amazon fire stick
2 x wifi satelite
2 x iphone's
3 x tablets's

We stream amazon tv all the time and also online gaming and internal file transfer to plex server with remote support.

I like ASUS and been looking at the ASUS RT-AC3200 or the Netgear Nighthawk (not sure which?)

Any suggestion and is the ASUS RT-AC3200 any good?

Last edited:
devolo 500 wifi adapter
I don't know what that is.

Upgrading to an AC1900 class router should help a lot. If you like ASUS, that would be the RT-AC68U.

If you have many devices simultaneously streaming AND at least some of them can connect on 5 GHz, then the second 5 GHz radio in an AC3200 class router might help. Otherwise you are wasting your money.

If you want a bigger number, on your router consider AC2600 class. The fourth antenna may provide a bit more gain to provide a bit higher throughput and extend effective range a bit.

AC3100/3150 and AC5300/5400 tri-radio equivalents are not recommended at this time. Broadcom still has not sorted out its MU-MIMO support.

Hi thiggins thanks for the reply

These are powerline WIFI adapter
http://www.devolo.co.uk/article/dlan-500-wifi-starter-kit-powerline/

My house is only 12m from one end to the other and wifi in the next room is poor?
I get a signal but performance is.nt good

I use the devolo to sort out this problem.

I really want just a router and no devolo's

Guessing the furthest point diagnally is about 20m

ASUS RT-AC3200 looks promising, I guess I have a £200 budget.

Would the netgears be better than the ASUS ?

I hoping a newer router would cover the whole house a still give good wifi perfomance

RT-AC3200 vs RT-AC87U vs RT-AC68U

According to asus website the RT-AC87u is for very larger homes and the others for large homes.

So guessing the RT-AC87u would be the best in terms of wifi?

If your home has thick stone or brick walls, you will have a difficult time getting good WiFi in all locations, especially in 5 GHz.

If you can, move the router to the center of the home. If the modem must be at one end of the house, you can use a pair of powerline adapters between the modem and router WAN port. You should try a pair of HomePlug AV2 MIMO adapters. AV500 is not sufficient.

According to asus website the RT-AC87u is for very larger homes and the others for large homes.
This recommendation is just marketing simplification. A bigger number does not guarantee better coverage. In many cases it just means more money out of your wallet.

I have an asus AC3200 i am going to sell after i figure out how to ship it. Let me know if you want to buy it from me and sort out shipping.

It has worked well for me as an AP till i decided it was redundant.

Liking the Netgear R7800, and it looks like it would take care of your needs. You haven't mentioned it, suggest that you look at the reviews on this site and see what you think. It could be less than your budgeted amount, but that's most likely not a big drawback *smile*.

hi Rogersc

Do you mean the
AC2600
Nighthawk X4S Smart WiFi Gaming Router R7800 ?

Look impressive on the 5ghz but apparently not so on the 2.4ghz but a reasonable price.

Think base on the review, stability and WIFI performance I starting narrowing it down to these 3.

Not ure on TP-link, always had Netgear and ASUS in the past and always seem to be in the top 5 reviews.

Cheapest at the top
1) ASUS RT-AC3200 (about £170)
"seems like a mid range all rouder"

2) Nighthawk X4S Smart WiFi Gaming Router R7800 AC2600 (about £200)
"has great reviews and excellent 5ghz wifi although 2.4ghz not so good"

3) ASUS RT-AC88U (Very pricey tho about £300)
"seem like it does everything maybe overkill and a bit pricey, 8-ports for lan too)

What are your thoughts?

Or you can buy the AC3200 from me for £130.

Dont go with the AC88U, at that price it is way too overpriced. In the US the release price was $300 and should be going down so £300 is a rip-off price. All businesses do it because there isnt anyone willing to get it to the UK cheaper (difficult + the competition will try to put you out of business).

You wont believe but i got my AC88U for £180. So when i say it a rip-off it really is.

I'm leaning towards the Nighthawk X4S Smart WiFi Gaming Router R7800 AC2600

It rate number 1 router on snb too....

You can buy the AC3200 new for £156, but thank for the offer.

Think the R7800 as Rogersg mention seem to be getting great reviews

Apparently the performance of the AC3200 is not very good compared to the others.

So guessing im now down to two

"asus rt-ac88u" £290 vs "netgear nighthawk x4s ac2600 r7800" £175

The netgear nighthawk x4s seem to be alot cheaper and reviews indicate great performance, people has mention the lan ports can cause problems? Also that the ui is slow and not very easy to navigate. But surely once set up it should all run smoothly.

asus rt-ac88u is just too expensive, also report of the WIFI not being as good.

So both have pro and cons

The Broadcom NitroQAMTM technology ? Not sure what the 'X4s has?

I am swaying more towards the X4s tho....

I have ordered the netgear nighthawk x4s ac2600 r7800 £175 delivered....

I will post a review on here once I have all setup.

There is a lot of information on this website and I have always had mainly ASUS Router's but have had netgear once or twice in the pass.

Hope I making the right choice changing over.

£200 budget, but the asus rt-ac88u did look very tempting

If the netgear should be better than my Asus RTN56U

(fingers crossed haha)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!