What's new

New router suggestion ..

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

redbeard916

Occasional Visitor
Hello all. Need a new router with dual 2.5gig network ports and can't decide. All I know is I've had asus and it always had issues with stability and opening network ports, along with other bugs. Anyone got some suggestions for a good router that's got 2 2.5gig ports one for Lan and one used for wan,that doesn't break the bank? Tplink?? thanks everyone ..

Archer AXE300 has 2x 10Gbps ports for WAN/LAN. Not cheap though. AXE16000 quad-band.

Price isn't all that concerning to me.. I'm trying to figure out, how does tp link compare to netgear and asus.. stability wise.. ipv6 wise.. stuff like that

@psychopomp1 is the only SNB Forums member I know with Archer AXE300.

Every manufacturer has successful and unsuccessful models. Better wait for feedback from someone who has AXE300, but chances are slim on this specific Asus/Netgear oriented forum. For $500 I would run x86 hardware with pfSense/OPNsense instead. No home router has proper hardware for multi-Gigabit regardless of the ports available on it. They all can do about 400Mbps WAN-LAN and rely on NAT acceleration hacks for anything faster. One single "wrong" firmware option enabled may kill the performance.

I would also make the same choice. Additionally, x86 hardware can handle traffic much faster than a home router.
here is a review

Last edited:
Requires more networking knowledge though. Not exactly Plug and Play. It will also be more expensive done properly with PoE switch and PoE access points. The price for true multi-Gigabit capable network is high.

I have the TP-Link AXE300 and have had it since being released. Now I also have the Asus AXE-16000 I know you said you have had issues with Asus in the past but putting the TP-Link AXE300 against the Asus AXE16000 the Asus beats it in speed and range hands down. The tp link is a great piece of equipment and has excellent hardware but whether it’s firmware related or not the range seems short on the 5ghz bands and it tends to run hot. Not like can’t touch it hot but gets warmer than I would like it to. It’s been a while since it’s had a firmware update and I know there’s some updates in the pipeline for it but when it’s released I don’t know. TP Link makes good affordable stuff there deco mesh systems are phenomenal. But in my testing with both routers the Asus AXE-16000 is faster and more responsive. Also Asus has 2gb of ram over the tp links 1gb but both are DDR4. In my opinion both are great options I know there’s WiFi 7 models coming out now but since there really isn’t anything that even uses WiFi 7 yet it’s more future proofing than anything else. I’m not biased to any company I go with what works for me and I monitor my routers a lot especially if I’m spending the money on them. In my honest opinion if your ruling Asus out completely then the TP Link will work very well just monitor the temps on it. Also the tp link app is very limited like most apps are but web based login has a few more options to tweak settings a bit. Any questions feel free to ask me I’d be glad to help if I can.

I pre-ordered the new GL-iNet Flint 2 AX6000 (GL-MT6000) to replace my Asus AX88u.
Main reasons is it is possible to obtain VPN Wireguard speeds up to 900Mbps where the AX88u sucks due to the limitations of the Qualcomm cpu.
Will probably receive it somewhere end of next week and paid as early bird €93 incl. shipping for it.

I pre-ordered the new GL-iNet Flint 2 AX6000 (GL-MT6000) to replace my Asus AX88u.
Main reasons is it is possible to obtain VPN Wireguard speeds up to 900Mbps where the AX88u sucks due to the limitations of the Qualcomm cpu.
Will probably receive it somewhere end of next week and paid as early bird €93 incl. shipping for it.
Specs look good...let us know how it is.