What's new

NEW RT-AC68R FIRMWARE OUT 376.1665

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

That's because you are using the wrong variables. wl_reg_mode for example is a temporary variable used when the web interface saves user settings, while the real setting names are wl0_reg_mode (for 2.4 GHz) and wl1_reg_mode (for 5 GHz). The same applies to all wireless settings - you must use the actual instanced radio setting for each band (wl0_xxx and wl1_xxx), not the generic, temporary setting.

Thank you, for the reply. I should be more specific (not using shortcuts):

Those settings won't survive the reboot:

wl0_reg_mode=d
wl0_country_code=Q2
wl1_country_code=Q2

I have EU RT-AC68U version.

wl0_reg_mode=d variable has stoped working some official asus firmwares ago (it has been fixed with your firmware). Country code is something new and corresponding only to 1663 asus fw.

Last edited:

wl0_reg_mode=d
wl0_country_code=Q2
wl1_country_code=Q2

wl0_reg_mode=d variable has stoped working some official asus firmwares ago (it has been fixed with your firmware). Country code is something new and corresponding only to 1663 asus fw.

Could be because Asus is now enforcing these and preventing end users from changing them, as is now required by the FCC.

Could be because Asus is now enforcing these and preventing end users from changing them, as is now required by the FCC.

Is this something (country code) you could fix in new Merlin FW, as you did with reg_mode ?

I think he has already said in another thread that he won't. As that is encouraging law breaking.
Those regulations have a purpose.

Last edited:
I think he has already said in another è thread that he won't. As that is encouraging law breaking.
Those regulations have a purpose.

And on top of that, if it becomes too common that Asus routers get those limitations bypassed by third party firmwares, I suspect that the FCC might contact Asus, and force them to take stronger measures to ensure that end users cannot go around those limits.

I wouldn't want Asus forced to use signed kernels (which would mean the end of any third party firmware on their routers).

I am not exaggerating here - the FCC specifically requests out of manufacturers that they take measures to prevent bypassing regional limitations, and they even ask manufacturers to submit documents explaining the specific measures they are implement to ensure that this is the case. In short, this is just a suggestions, this is a requirement.

problems with the qos: you can not select kb / s, when you press "apply" appears Mb / sec

And on top of that, if it becomes too common that Asus routers get those limitations bypassed by third party firmwares, I suspect that the FCC might contact Asus, and force them to take stronger measures to ensure that end users cannot go around those limits.

I wouldn't want Asus forced to use signed kernels (which would mean the end of any third party firmware on their routers).

I am not exaggerating here - the FCC specifically requests out of manufacturers that they take measures to prevent bypassing regional limitations, and they even ask manufacturers to submit documents explaining the specific measures they are implement to ensure that this is the case. In short, this is just a suggestions, this is a requirement.

This is mandatory all over the world; different flavors in US or EU or China, but there are restrictions everywhere. Regulations are strict and a vendor cannot sale a product or any product if it doesn't comply.
And there's a good reason for this. Would any of us feel safe if your "fine tuned" home router would interfere with approach radar from an airport?

Yes, would be cheaper and easier for users to have all channels available with full power. But 2.4 or 5GHz used for wireless lan are not used only for wlan and we have to live with it.

But enforcement should be consistent...I was playing with Netgears latest extender the EX6200 and you can actually change you region in a simple menu drop-down in the web interface! So I don't understand why Asus is having to be so protective of the region settings and not Netgear. If someone chooses to change the region inappropriately then THEY face the wrath of the appropriate radio authority if detected, not the manufacturer.

Why they downgraded it to 3.0.0.4.376.1663? Before it was 1665!

Because of this: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...0-netgear-suing-asus-for-wireless-hanky-panky
:)

All big vendors are shipping regulatory-locked (if I may use this term) for every region.
To be sure users have little or no chances to alter it.

As who would be responsible...it is debatable. Vendors are forced to comply with local regulations to be able to sell the product in that country/region.

That's why I am very surprised about the Netgear EX6200. It is a model only released within the last 6 months or so, and it has a region drop-down selection in the web interface. So Netgear aren't following the very things they were critical of Asus about it seems!

All of those restrictions are pointless.

First of all - it is easy to buy in EU all of the equipment from different regions. There is even more, it is cheeper to buy them from ebay or something than from retail stores in fact. I've got many wifi clients with FCC, SA or ETSI reg implemented - should I throw them away? Anyway - if somebody owns RT-AC68U with FCC (US reg) can one change to ETSI regs in this new firmware? I can assure you people there are many units working in EU with FCC restrictions (means up to 200 mW with 2.4 GHz and up to 500 mW with 5.0 GHz and different higher channels).

Second, why to issue new software with restrictions if there is an older firmware w/o - even on their website by the way?

Third and most important - not many vendors play like this. Asus tries to sell an expensive stuff and people expect to get most advanced and flexible options available at the time. Instead we are getting restarting every 5 minutes routers, full of bugs and more and more restriction with every fw edition. The only thing that is correct about Asus is money of course. Yes, they are expensive! And regarding RT-AC68 it has been present for a 1,5 years on the market. And still no good firmware (official firmware).

I can only congratulate company policy and PR building.

If they don't change the way of business, for the next router I will turn to company competitive, I suppose.

But enforcement should be consistent...I was playing with Netgears latest extender the EX6200 and you can actually change you region in a simple menu drop-down in the web interface! So I don't understand why Asus is having to be so protective of the region settings and not Netgear. If someone chooses to change the region inappropriately then THEY face the wrath of the appropriate radio authority if detected, not the manufacturer.

And how old is that EX6200?

The FCC new requirements are from only a few months ago. These new requirements make it the manufacturer's job to ensure limitations cannot be overcome by end users.

And how old is that EX6200?

The FCC new requirements are from only a few months ago. These new requirements make it the manufacturer's job to ensure limitations cannot be overcome by end users.

The EX6200 was released in January in the US (March in the UK). I thought these requirements were in place late last year. Asus are updating the firmware to tighten this up on an item released before the rule changes came into play. So if Netgear still want to sell their EX6200, they should also have changed this by now with a firmware update...but haven't.

Also in the netgear r7000 you can change the region with a drop down menu.

No one else has my problem with rt-ac68u? With the .376 firmware is not possible to keep the kb / sec in the menu of qos.

The EX6200 was released in January in the US (March in the UK). I thought these requirements were in place late last year. Asus are updating the firmware to tighten this up on an item released before the rule changes came into play. So if Netgear still want to sell their EX6200, they should also have changed this by now with a firmware update...but haven't.

I think this requirement was only made official in early June, at the same time the FCC approved the increase in output power on one of the 5 GHz bands.

No idea how this applies to existing devices on the market. Maybe manufacturers have a grace period, or they are exempt from it. Or maybe someone will just have to file a complain against Netgear for things to be put into motion.

I try to stay away from legalese mumbo jumbo, as it gives me a headache. Plus, ain't my country.

Last edited:
See this link for the two documents that relate to this. The second document shows the type of things the FCC asks out of manufacturers now before granting certification.

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/kdb/forms/FTSSearchResultPage.cfm?id=39498&switch=P

One interesting bit there that relates to the use of channel 12 and 13, as an example:

(a) Device must, by default, operate in a mode that is compliant with the U.S. requirements.
(b) Device must use supplemental information such as geo-location data to determine that it is operating
outside the U.S., if necessary, to change its power. Such supplemental data must be derived from one
or more of the following:

(1) Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS)7 sensors in the device, or
(2) Mobile Country Code (MCC),8 or MCC with a Mobile Network code (MNC), received from a CMRS9 carrier and received directly by a receiver on the device, or
(3) Country information derived from multiple adjacent access points (for example using IEEE Std 802.11d provisions) may be permitted on case-by-case basis,10,11 or
(4) Other suitable geo-location data based on IP addresses or other reliable source.
(c) Device must recheck the geo-location information at least once every hour, when the device is switched on and connections are established or changed.

So giving end user manual control of it is definitely out of the question for future products. No idea how strict they are about existing, already certified products, but in any case get used to not being able anymore to control this, as it will be the norm from now on.

Last edited:

wl0_reg_mode=d
wl0_country_code=Q2
wl1_country_code=Q2

I'm also having the same issue with the following not surviving reboot on 1663
wl0_country_code
wl1_country_code

Found a bug in this firmware.

If i set 5Ghz to 80mhz, and manually assign a channel 149-153, the wifi log shows 5ghz band is set to 20mhz and channel 39.
Xbox One shows Nat-Type; Moderate.

If i set 5Ghz to 40mhz and manual channel, then wireless log shows correct settings.
Xbox One shows Nat-Type; Open.

I also found an issue with this version, My MacPro under _5656 negotiates at 1300/1300 in AC. But with the new version (after a full reset ofcourse) shows up as an n router with 216mbps max. I have the channel set to 42 but the wireless log showed it to be 36. So I ended up downgrading back to _5656

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!