What's new

New RT-N56U which f/w to upgrade to ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mikeg

I bought a RT-N56u and when I set it up I saw that it had f/w version 1.0.1.8e
installed. When I looked at Asus download site for the router this version is not
among the downloads so I ask other users of this router which version of f/w do you recommend to update to ? As I will give this as a Christmas gift to my sister I would like a stable f/w so I will not have to travel too often to her place to upgrade the f/w

Ok, I have an Asus RT-AC66U so I am familiar with the Asus WRT version.
I start to wonder when the latest Asus f/w .260 is not mentioned. Is it a problem with this version ? F/ W .206 is a beta-f/w if I am not mistaken or ?

I would recommend Asus WRT version.
The GUI is very nice and straight forward.
Has Media Server, Download Master and QOS (When selected)
It has run nice for me without hassles.
Luckily a user has made a dropbox for it since the original links are dead.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gb858i7r6kmd4nn/RT-N56U_3.0.0.4_206.trx

some people are having 2.4ghz dropping issue on 260. but not to me. 260 is pretty stable to me. =)

Ok, thank you for the information - it is like the N66U some people have problemswith the latest f/w on the 2.4 GHz and others not. Now I am wondering if I am lucky if I update to the .260 or not .....
Update : upgraded to f/w .206 and have a lot of problems with disconects on the wired connection. Reseted the unit and powered off / on with no improvement.
Cleared the nvram and still had the same problem. Put the unit in recue mode and
used the Asus utility to restore the f/w .206. The rescue utility I used was the most recent one. After waiting for the unit to reboot which it did not I powered it off / on and still have disconnects on the wired connection. Next I will try the Russian f/w if there is a problem still with the connection on the wired then I will RMA the unit...

Update again : Works now with the Russian f(w .027 , no problem att all to update with rescue utility and no disconnects on the wired connection so I could
finally set up the router and tested the wireless with no problems at all. Asus what is the problem with your f/w ?

some peoplei are having 2.4ghz dropping issue on 260. but not to me. 260 is pretty stable to me. =)

Last edited:
not rly sure what the problems are. i am not asus' fw fan too. hope youre doing good with the firmware from padavan

I have beein in touch with Jeremy at Asus about this and he admited that some users had had problems with the fw .260 but others not. It seems I was among the others. The Padavan firmware works very well thank you.

not rly sure what the problems are. i am not asus' fw fan too. hope youre doing good with the firmware from padavan

I have beein in touch with Jeremy at Asus about this and he admited that some users had had problems with the fw .260 but others not. It seems I was among the others. The Padavan firmware works very well thank you.
i was too. i got the new beta from him. tell me if u wanna try it.

I have been running the Padavan firmware for sometime on our RT-N56U, very stable, does it what is supposed to, media server function works well with both of my AV receivers...I'm an advocate for the Padavan firmware.

I have run 1.0.8f for the past year with no issues. I figured I'd upgrade the firmware over the New Years break.

I loaded the latest Asus firmware and had problems with the wireless clients 2.4ghz disconnecting. I clicked to reset settings back to factory and still had issues.

I tried the .206 Beta and it was better but then after about an hour the Xbox would disconnect (it is wired to asus rtn16 in bridge mode).

I tried the last 1.0.8n version and it had disconnect issues as well.

So, I tried Padavans latest and it had wireless disconnect issues as well. Again I reset back to factory and tried again and it disconnected wireless clients as well.

I put the 1.0.8.f back on, reset to factory and changed only the two settings I ever set - 2.4 ghz to channel 11, width to 40mhz, 5.0ghz channel 44 and 40mhz. Works fine with no disconnect issues.

Got any ideas why I can only get one firmware to work? It makes no sense to me.

I wish I could help Stig. I was running 1.0.1.7f occasionally trying the pre 3.x to see if there where any improvements and always ended up going back to 7f because of some issue. Now I had to move to 3.x to try and support my new airprint printer and it hasnt been pretty. :(

I'm still on 1.0.1.4

Is there any reason for me to upgrade? And to which version? I need something stable with the best possible wireless performance. Everything else feature wise i have no use for.

Anyone have recommendation?

Am i able to downgrade firmware without any problems if i load one that is not good?

Version 1.0.1.7f is the most stable for me I had disconnections problems with all others firmware.

My router was shipped in September 2012 with 1.0.1.7f and it's been running great so I haven't seen any compelling reason to change. Wireless performance is they key for me and it's been solid. This thing has great range!

With that said, I did have my first problem yesterday out of the blue. It stopped working, wireless or wired. Any attempts to ping either received no response or a General Failure error (or something like that). I power cycled several times but it would not come back. I finally had to do a hard reset, which fortunately fixed the problem. It was really odd, because I haven't had to reset the router since I plugged it in last September.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!