What's new

New to cloud technology and got my first job...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pstudent

New Around Here
So at my new job My role will be to assist with the day to day operation of software and applications, which are hosted on AWS (amazon web services). Also I will take software from programmers and deploy/run/troubleshoot software on AWS. As well as automate with shell. I have a few questions:

1) I would imagine that AWS would make it easy for the end user (programmer) to make their software work on a cloud. Why does it take more than just a few clicks to get your software running?

2) What type of things can I be expected to do when someone says I will deploy/run/troubleshoot software on AWS?

3) How does automating with shell come into play with the cloud? I'm sure there are a lot of things you can automate but what would someone like me (a fresh grad) be expected to do when automating with shell?

Thanks!

So at my new job My role will be to assist with the day to day operation of software and applications, which are hosted on AWS (amazon web services). Also I will take software from programmers and deploy/run/troubleshoot software on AWS. As well as automate with shell. I have a few questions:

1) I would imagine that AWS would make it easy for the end user (programmer) to make their software work on a cloud. Why does it take more than just a few clicks to get your software running?

2) What type of things can I be expected to do when someone says I will deploy/run/troubleshoot software on AWS?

3) How does automating with shell come into play with the cloud? I'm sure there are a lot of things you can automate but what would someone like me (a fresh grad) be expected to do when automating with shell?

Thanks!

Did you get the job or are you still applying for it? :)

All these things will be made clear after you've started working there for three months or more.

There is no 'one size fits all' way of doing a certain task. You will be told by the employer how they want it done.

As and if you get experience and become proficient with the daily grind and can see the overall picture more clearly, you can begin suggesting what you learned in school to move the company you're working for to a better place than where they are currently.

Your questions 1, 2 and 3 are what you might have asked of them in the interview. ;)

AWS has many services and products. It isn't generally a hosting service. Rather, it's bulk storage in wholesale. Retailers like RackSpace add their software for easy access.
AWS also sells virtual machines running Linux or Windows. You manage what that VM is used for.

But AWS has many services and you need to know which are under contract and how they will be used, etc.

Sounds like you are starting down a good path but there is so very much to learn.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!