What's new

New To The Charts: Buffalo TeraStation III

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rinthos

New Around Here
Tim,

Very nice write-up as always sir. Just few questions (not sure if they'll be answered in your follow-up review or not):

* In the slideshow you noted the drive spin-down option didn't seem to result in the drives spinning down. Was Buffalo able to identify the bug or cause or were you able to get this to work?

* Do you know how the 2-drive version of the Terastation III (i.e. the Duo) compares in terms of cpu + memory to the 4-drive version?

* Will this be offered without any drives? (For example, if I wanted to end up w/ new WD Green 2.0TB drives, could I buy an empty unit, or will Buffalo only be selling w/ pre-configured installations?). In conjunction w/ this, any chance at checking if 2.0TB drive-support is available for these units?

Thanks as always sir.

* In the slideshow you noted the drive spin-down option didn't seem to result in the drives spinning down. Was Buffalo able to identify the bug or cause or were you able to get this to work?
Buffalo has not commented on this. Same issue with the LinkStation Pro XHL.

* Do you know how the 2-drive version of the Terastation III (i.e. the Duo) compares in terms of cpu + memory to the 4-drive version?
Not until I test it and see what CPU it uses.

* Will this be offered without any drives? (For example, if I wanted to end up w/ new WD Green 2.0TB drives, could I buy an empty unit, or will Buffalo only be selling w/ pre-configured installations?). In conjunction w/ this, any chance at checking if 2.0TB drive-support is available for these units?
Probably not. Buffalo shows no interest in BYOD NASes.

Maybe this will help motivate Netgear to rethink their NVX pricing. I'm not holding my breath...

Not likely. Their recommendation is the ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer if you want low(er) cost and high performance. If you want lower cost and can live with lower performance, then the NV+ is still in the lineup.

encryption overhead

Tim,

Were you able to run any tests w/ encryption enabled ? If so, how did that impact performance?

Also, any follow-up about the drive-spindown issue you encountered, or is it just a lingering 'unknown issue' at this stage?

Finally, were you able to determine if the drives were running in SATA II mode w/ NCQ support (given the sata-2 marvell proc), or were they running in SATA I / 150?

Thanks sir.

Last edited:
Question re: lack of logging

Tim,

Quick follow-up question. In your review you mentioned logging isn't possible. I've looked at another NAS model we had at work and w/ the help of Buffalo support was able to find a syslog section...

Am curious, is there any logging screen at:
System-> Maintainance

for the Terastation III? Linkstation i played with didn't have it, but perhaps this screen is different for Terastation series?

Let us know your thoughts/findings. Thanks as always sir!
---

I went through all the screens. I found no log page or syslog setting.

UPS Connection - Serial Only?

The review says that connection to a UPS is only by a serial port. The down-loadable manual (pg 75) says either serial or USB can be used. Has there been a change, or is something wrong here?

Terry

Thanks, Tim,

Looking around their forum it is very unclear, but looks like it's pretty fussy about which UPSs it works with.

Terry

If it's an important criteria, I'd try an email to Buffalo presales to be sure.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!