What's new

New To The Charts: NETGEAR ReadyNAS Pro 2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

claykin

Very Senior Member
Tim

In your performance review test you identified one of the CONS to be "Fast USB 3.0 backup only to EXT3 format". Later in your review you discussed backup tests runs and your comments were as follows:

What you don't see in the Benchmark Summary are the results of my backup tests using a WD MyBook 3.0 USB 3.0 drive, which testing using Vista SP1 file copy showed capable of 82 MB/s write and 117 MB/s read. But, once again, using NTFS format yielded only 14 MB/s and FAT was fastest at 67 MB/s (EXT3 was a disappointing 23 MB/s). Although 67 MB/s is a hell of a lot better than previous USB 2.0-only ReadyNAS backup options, it pales in comparison with 80+ MB/s speeds that QNAP eSATA backup provide.

I think you meant to say Fast USB3 Backup only to FAT32 format?

Also, note that Netgear specifies the Pro2 as the only Pro NAS that does not come with Enterprise class disks. Yours did, which begs the question - Do they ship some units with Enterprise disks or, is their spec sheet wrong? I'd hate to think they sent you a special version. :eek: I'll check into that with my pals @ Netgear.

http://www.readynas.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/ReadyNAS_Comparison_Business.pdf

Last edited:
Netgear advised the Pro2 is now shipping with Enterprise disks. NOTE: The channel may still have units with non Enterprise disks.

Thanks for pointing out the error. It's fixed.

The boxes that the Pro 2 and Pro 4 arrived in actually were marked "RNDP2000-100NAS and RNDP40001-100NAS", which are unpopulated versions.
These had the Seagate ES drives installed by NETGEAR.

When I questioned this, I was told by NETGEAR that these drives are used on shipping product.

Netgear advised the Pro2 is now shipping with Enterprise disks. NOTE: The channel may still have units with non Enterprise disks.

I have tried several times in the past two weeks to order the Pro 2 with Enterprise drives. Both times (once a 2 x1TB unit and the other a 2 x 2TB unit) the systems came with normal drives (i.e., not Enterprise). I called Netgear to see how this could be ordered, but I received no answer. I suspect that you got drives that were not being shipped yet.

I have tried several times in the past two weeks to order the Pro 2 with Enterprise drives. Both times (once a 2 x1TB unit and the other a 2 x 2TB unit) the systems came with normal drives (i.e., not Enterprise). I called Netgear to see how this could be ordered, but I received no answer. I suspect that you got drives that were not being shipped yet.

Who did you order from?

I am not promoting this vendor as I've not done business with them, but other users on readynas forums seem to like them. You can order a Pro2 any way you wish.

http://www.eaegis.com/netgear-readynas-pro-6-bay-high-desktop-storage.aspx

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!