What's new

New TrendMicro DPI engine announced for other models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
A recent TrendMicro press release confirms that Asus will indeed eventually port their DPI engine to the RT-AC56 and RT-AC68:

http://apac.trendmicro.com/apac/about-us/newsroom/releases/articles/20140827151514.html

Starting in August 2014, ASUS’s RT-AC87U will begin to be embedded with Trend Micro’s Smart Home Network software suite, followed by two other popular models: RT-AC56U and RT-AC68U, as well as additional new and existing models. The updates will be completed by the end of 2014. Customers who have already purchased those products can also experience the latest firmware on the Internet by upgrade.

That's quite a grandiose announcement. I'm beginning to think they don't know it's broken... :mad:

Let's hope the other router architectures help to shake out some of the stability issues.

That's quite a grandiose announcement. I'm beginning to think they don't know it's broken... :mad:

Let's hope the other router architectures help to shake out some of the stability issues.

Broken in what way? I've been using that QoS for over two months now, and the two only issues I encountered have been fixed weeks ago.

We're just talking about the DPI engine here, not about the wifi or anything else.

Broken in what way? I've been using that QoS for over two months now, and the two only issues I encountered have been fixed weeks ago.

We're just talking about the DPI engine here, not about the wifi or anything else.

As I posted in the Merlin thread just now, I think the Adaptive QOS is borked in the latest Asus official release. Rebooting the modem fixes it.

Pity Asus cannot try to rise to near the level of Cisco Enterprise Routers.

My biggest complaint about Cisco, and Linksys, routers is that they (Linksys and Cisco both) monitor everything that goes in and out of the routers. This is part of their User Agreements, but I still don't think it's right. They monitor emails, which websites you go to and what you do there including bank web sites, etc. And no, they don't say what they do with that information. They started doing this with their newest routers back in 2013, and are still doing it. No way to opt out either. Could be a huge issue for businesses with the confidential information going back and forth between employees and servers and in emails and stuff, let alone the personal privacy issues for those who use those routers at home.

Are you willing to pay near the level of Cisco Entreprise Routers? Most home users aren't.

Right-- Adaptive QoS kills the router for me after about 30 minutes to an hour of use. I haven't tried rule-based QoS though, mainly because I'm gun-shy. Adaptive QoS on 2061 "bricked" the 87 and put it into an unrecoverable boot loop (but not really, I could re-flash in rescue mode to your firmware and only then clear CMOS).

2678 locked it up hard after 30 minutes of adaptive QoS. I suppose I can try it again, but I'd rather not have to go through that experience again. Seems to be quite solid otherwise, with QoS turned off.

As mentioned earlier, I only have 4Mb down / .5 Mb up. Perhaps that's just too slow for Asus to have QA'd against it, and the engine is just working too hard for the amount of traffic I have behind it.

Are you being serious?

This is the second post I've read in the last 24 hours where someone was making a comparison of consumer grade equipment with enterprise grade equipment.

Cisco bought Linksys (consumer grade stuff) and towards the end they basically let the brand die. Killed it with the cloud admin crap, rarely updating firmware, etc. WPS vulnerability was never patched for many models.

Guess we'll see how well Belkin does with the brand (I gave up on Cisco/Linksys consumer stuff years ago and never followed up with Belkin's support).

Apples to oranges.

Are you being serious?

But of course. You are confusing your oranges with your limes.

We use Cisco Enterprise in our data center (top dollar but worth every penny) and also Cisco Small Business Routers that include Cisco Configuration Professional, Advanced security, including intrusion prevention, Group Encrypted Transport VPN, and dynamic multipoint VPN (DMVPN) among other nifty features and start at the $1K range.

When I said, rise to "near" the level of Cisco, I was referring to the latter.

Last edited:
Right-- Adaptive QoS kills the router for me after about 30 minutes to an hour of use. I haven't tried rule-based QoS though, mainly because I'm gun-shy. Adaptive QoS on 2061 "bricked" the 87 and put it into an unrecoverable boot loop (but not really, I could re-flash in rescue mode to your firmware and only then clear CMOS).

2678 locked it up hard after 30 minutes of adaptive QoS. I suppose I can try it again, but I'd rather not have to go through that experience again. Seems to be quite solid otherwise, with QoS turned off.

As mentioned earlier, I only have 4Mb down / .5 Mb up. Perhaps that's just too slow for Asus to have QA'd against it, and the engine is just working too hard for the amount of traffic I have behind it.

Try disabling HW acceleration on the LAN -> Switch Control page. Some ISP have trouble dealing with it.

My own router, running 376.46 (which is based on the 376_2061 code):

Code:
admin@Stargate87:/tmp/home/root# uptime
 01:15:35 up 4 days,  7:55,  load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.04

That's with Adaptive QoS enabled, as well as Apps Analysis, and AiProtection's Vulnerability Protection. I keep the Malicious Site blocking disabled.

Try disabling HW acceleration on the LAN -> Switch Control page. Some ISP have trouble dealing with it.

[...]

I'm running Level 2 acceleration without QoS, and it's been solid without a single reset required since 2678 came out. NAT acceleration is LAN-side technology (well, at the router) and isn't exposed to the ISP, although I suppose packet behavior would be different from the ISP perspective (but this wouldn't explain locking up the AC87U beyond the ability to clear settings and killing it outright).

Anyway I'll give it a shot. I've re-enabled Adaptive QoS and wait-- what? Look at this-- NAT acceleration is still at Level 2. I thought FA wasn't available when QoS was on?

So that may be the issue. I've manually switched that to Level 1 CTF. Fingers crossed. If that's not a bug, it's definitely against ASUS' own documentation that states QoS and FA don't function together.

Last edited:
I'm running Level 2 acceleration without QoS, and it's been solid without a single reset required since 2678 came out. NAT acceleration is LAN-side technology (well, at the router) and isn't exposed to the ISP, although I suppose packet behavior would be different from the ISP perspective (but this wouldn't explain locking up the AC87U beyond the ability to clear settings and killing it outright).

Some ISPs caused router stability issues when CTF was enabled, especially Level 2 which is incompatible with some Singapore ISPs. This is especially the case with ISPs that use VLAN tagging, or who use native IPv6.

Anyway I'll give it a shot. I've re-enabled Adaptive QoS and wait-- what? Look at this-- NAT acceleration is still at Level 2. I thought FA wasn't available when QoS was on?

That setting is only to force a setting downgrade, it doesn't reflect the current state. The router will automatically switch to Level 1 when it boots with Adaptive QoS enabled - just like it will completely disable all HW acceleration when you enable Traditional QoS.

Simplest way to view the current active state of HW acceleration is by using my firmware - it will be reported on the Sysinfo page.

Some ISPs caused router stability issues when CTF was enabled, especially Level 2 which is incompatible with some Singapore ISPs. This is especially the case with ISPs that use VLAN tagging, or who use native IPv6.

Yeah, not my issue I think, as I have been solid with CTF + FA for a long while. I only saw stability issues once Adaptive QoS was enabled as well.

That setting is only to force a setting downgrade, it doesn't reflect the current state. The router will automatically switch to Level 1 when it boots with Adaptive QoS enabled - just like it will completely disable all HW acceleration when you enable Traditional QoS.

Simplest way to view the current active state of HW acceleration is by using my firmware - it will be reported on the Sysinfo page.

Thanks, here's hoping that Asus' upgrade frequency settles down a bit so things get a bit more sane for you. I've been several hours now with Adaptive QoS + CTF here on 2678; so far so good. But I'm running with the same config as the last big lockup though, with the exception of the Level 1 CTF setting, so I'm a bit on edge.

Yeah, not my issue I think, as I have been solid with CTF + FA for a long while. I only saw stability issues once Adaptive QoS was enabled as well.

Thanks, here's hoping that Asus' upgrade frequency settles down a bit so things get a bit more sane for you. I've been several hours now with Adaptive QoS + CTF here on 2678; so far so good. But I'm running with the same config as the last big lockup though, with the exception of the Level 1 CTF setting, so I'm a bit on edge.

What ISP do you have issues with scavenger? Rmerlin, are US ISPS mostly ok with Hardware Accl? (Ie. comcast/xfinity)?

What ISP do you have issues with scavenger? Rmerlin, are US ISPS mostly ok with Hardware Accl? (Ie. comcast/xfinity)?

I have no issues with NAT Acceleration-- never have. My issues were with Adaptive QoS and the router functionality itself (i.e. A-QoS put it into a boot loop with no LAN connectivity either). I have CenturyLink DSL, which has been solid with both CTF and CTF+FA.

But my prior issues may have been a fluke (albeit one that was repeated three times); I've been running now for a day with everything enabled and it's still solid. I have no idea what could be different. The only actual change was that I manually dropped the NAT Acceleration setting down from Level 2 to Level 1, although I'm told that's just cosmetic with A-QoS enabled.

Last edited:

I suspect most US ISPs should be fine, but I cannot be certain. This probably especially affect ISPs that use VLAN tagging, such as some that provide you with IPTV/VoIP services.

I also know that IPv6 can have issues with HW acceleration enabled, so it could possibly affects those that provide native IPv6, such as Comcast.

So... I don't have QOS enabled....and I try to set Level 2 HW acceleration...but the router reboots and says its back on level 1.

Setting wont stick. IPv6 is disabled.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!