What's new

Nighthawk R7000P or R7800

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Even with a NitroQAM supporting client I'm skeptical you would get higher than the R7800 in 5 Ghz as I don't think you would get the full 1.25x gain.

i have both the units here as well as the correct wireless adapter to test both on eg the 4 x 4 asus pce-ac88 and i indeed get faster throughput with the 2156M 88u that i do from the 1733M rt2600ac so your skepticism is misplaced , perhaps actually test some of this gear and you will see for yourself :)

I remember RMerlin called NitroQAM a marketing gimmick in the RT-AC5300 forum.
only because the portable device capability just isnt close to getting there yet and i doubt it never will , however for those that want the speed over wifi there are adapter out there that can achieve it for desktops

4x4 adapter in your signature and your R8500 or AC88U.

here is some testing i did at 25 meters and a few walls away

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2599718

im just about to start another round of testing at 3 meters and 10 meters and will post when finished ( note it doesnt include the rt2600ac as i got it later than the test date but will be included in new testing )

Pete could you elaborate on the Synology being complex? I have seen a few reviews but nothing in depth about the UI.

the complexity comes from the fact it uses its same interface as its nas devices and for those that have used synology before may be comfortable with its interface and be able to navigate their way through its maze of settings and how they work , but for someone not used to synology its indeed quite a maze of settings and functions and will take even moderately competent admins some time to get their head around

there is also nothing all that special about the featureset its self as its get all the same features as other manufactures just rearranged the synology way

the vpn app is ok but you can only take advantage of it if you have apple devices which i dont , the IPS app is still in beta but has been shown to be problematic after a week or so of use with it tending to bog down the router speed

synology came in quite late even with its second router attempt and missed what it should have had and that was link aggregation so it was compatable with its own nas units

for a standard 4 giga ethernet port router its also quite pricey , here in australia its price just below the asus rt-ac88u and netgear r8500 both of which have link aggregation and extra ports and are 2156M

just my opinion :)

i would however take a good look at some of these reviews as i have seen one with 5 out of 5 and one with 98% , i just think some get a little over excited just because its synology and ignore a few facts inplace of a bit of fanboy type hysteria

Last edited:
I have the R9000 and R8500 both have link aggregation as you already know which I can use but I find myself going back to the R7800 as my main router just for the 5Ghz performance as I don't use my NAS a lot to take advantage of the Link aggregation or 10Gbit port. However I might end up trying that 4x4 adapter in your sig myself. Those were some pretty good speeds you got at those SSRIs.

As for Synology I have heard a lot of hype around it so it got me interested and their NASes were already known to be pretty good so it only added to that I guess.

Well that was a pretty long and good discussion we had lol. I completely forgot about OP :D.

Thanks guys

I'm still looking.

They have today made a very good deal on the R7800 which is now half price of AC88U. The ASUS AC3100 is from today also being listed in stores but is one of the most expensive routers and i guess the price will be adjusted very soon :)

PCE-AC88 is a 4X4 AC3100 ultimate AC performance 1000+2167 Mbps (NitroQAM™ 1024-QAM).
And the R7800 is a 4x4 AC2600 Mbps 800 + 1733
*4x4 11ac 80MHz + 2x2-160/80+80MHz
*To benefit from 160MHz and MU-MIMO features, WiFi client needs to be 160MHz and MU-MIMO capable

Last edited:
Isn't the fastest wireless adapter to date the ASUS PCE-AC68?
That is AC1900? 1300 Mbps

asus pce-ac88

https://www.asus.com/au/Networking/PCE-AC88/

its 2156M

matched perfectly to all the 2156M wireless routers

And the R7800 can do 1733 mbps?

and is backwards compatible to the 1733M class as well

So there is not wireless adapter that can match the r7800 performance and definitely not the AC88U.

Trying to learn

reading is the key :) , its even listed in my sig

OP, go for the Netgear R7800 you won't regret it. I have the R9000 which has identical QCA 2.4 & 5ghz radios as the R7800 and get great range & speeds everywhere. One of my desktop PCs has the 4x4 Asus PCE-AC88U PCI card installed and I get the full 310 & 30 mb/s speeds on it on my FTTP connection in the UK.

In my experience I have found routers with Qualcomm Atheros (QCA) radios such as the Netgear R9000, Linksys EA8500 give me better range and throughput versus those with Broadcom radios such as Asus AC5300, AC68U, netgear R7000 etc. And don't forget Mu-Mimo seems to be more mature on QCA based routers whereas it appears to be very buggy on Broadcom radios. Obviously you need compatible Mu-Mimo clients such as the Asus PCE-AC88U card.

Gentlemen

I ended up getting the R7800 as it was priced really good. It was even cheaper than C3150 and half the price of AC88U!
I appreciate everybodys support and recommendations.

Guys any of you are facing issues with the r78k qos live bandwidth monitoring is broken and priority is reset. It keeps on happening when any of the clients connected is offline and try to connect back to the router gui with timed out after authentication it broke the qos feature to check this on the attached device page sort by application will be blank page when sorted by device it will show devices but + symbols for both up and down will no longer be there for all the device listed also when you manually update the priority to other than default it won't be saving it. I already created a case waiting for a fix

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Can't say I have run into that issue, I'll check again though, to make sure.

Edit: I checked and my devices on disconnect and reconnect so far have kept their non-default prioritizations.

Last edited:
pete, you are absolutly right about the limited settings possibilities in the netgear routers. I was totally spoiled by custom rom padavan for my asus 56u :)
This is still totally fine.