What's new

No Cisco VPN with RT-N56U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CraigBee

Occasional Visitor
I can't get my employer's Cisco AnyConnect v2.5.0217 VPN to work with my new Asus RT-N56U router. It worked with my D-Link DIR-825, but that was killed in a lightning storm. I've tried all eight combinations of enabling/disabling these settings in NAT passthrough:
PPTP Passthrough
L2TP Passthrough
IPSec Passthrough

I can ping the VPN gateway, but when trying to connect, I get an imediate rejection with the message "Connection attempt has failed: host is unreachable."

Any ideas what to try next?

Usually all you need to do is download the Anyconnect software, run it. Type in your credentials, and you're connected.

Then just run remote desktop to your desktop or terminal server and boom you got access. Shouldn't have to set anything up on your router.

I had that problem too

I also had that problem for quite some time. I updated the firmware and it fixed it I can't recall which version, it was an ASUS revision. I have been running custom firmware for a while now and any connect still works.

Last edited:
Updated to what version? I'm using 1.0.1.8f, which I think is up to date. What settings do you use?

Also, I've been using Padavan's third-party firmware, it has been very reliable for me:

http://code.google.com/p/rt-n56u/

This works well for me with Cisco "AnyConnect" client with the rt-n56u. All you need to do is enable IPSec passthrough.

It's not the same VPN software but ... I use CISCO VPN client and was having trouble getting a connection when I found this post through a google search. In the end I simply enabled "IPSec PassThrough" and it solved the problem. I've also got the latest firmware as 1.0.1.8j.

Cisco's VPN is IPSec-based, only with an added auth layer on top of it.

I was using Padavan's firmware, which worked with my work's Cisco VPN (IPSec). I've now switched to the Asus beta .206 firmware, which also works with the Cisco VPN and AnyConnect client.

Interestingly enough (or not), I noticed that IPsec passthrough doesn't even have to be enabled for the rt-n66u for my work VPN, but that's another story. I didn't try that with the rt-n56u, but it wouldn't surprise me if that also worked at this point.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!