What's new

No WAN address

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jbombs16

Occasional Visitor
I have upgraded my CFE and everything is running smooth on the latest Merlin.

I have attempted to install dd-wrt (Fractal's build for the 64k) but I cannot get ddwrt to obtain a WAN address. I have installed multiple times, hard reset the router, etc. Every time access the router the WAN is always 0.0.0.0.

Everything is working on Merlin. I am interested in ddwrt because I want to run a VPN but have the ability to only have certain IP addresses and/or ports go through the VPN.

I would appreciate any help with the WAN issue.

Thanks in advance.

Try power cycling your modem by turning it off for one to two minutes (five to ten minutes for a cable modem) and then back on again. Then power cycle your router and leave it off for at least fifteen seconds before turning it on again. I usually have to do this after updating the router firmware and have done this a few times after the ISP internet connection has gone down for maintenance resulting in the router losing the WAN IP address. After the modem's connection has been re-established my internet connection usually remains perfect for months without ever having to reboot the router or modem.

Last edited:
Thanks. I will try that. However, I don't think it will work as I never did this procedure when going back to Merlin when ddwrt couldn't get a WAN.

I have flashed merlin (working), then flashed ddwrt (no wan), and then flashed back to Merlin (working).

Any other ideas?

Thanks. I will try that. However, I don't think it will work as I never did this procedure when going back to Merlin when ddwrt couldn't get a WAN.

I have flashed merlin (working), then flashed ddwrt (no wan), and then flashed back to Merlin (working).

Any other ideas?

I have only flashed the official Asus firmware and Merlin's Asus firmware. I used the hard reset button for fifteen seconds before and then after flashing from 32k Asus firmware to 64k Asus or 64k Merlin firmware and then I used the power cycle method I described. I don't have experience flashing ddwrt on the RT-N66U. That may be 32k firmware and there may be a different required procedure to reset the router and flush its memory. In this forum I have read about other special procedures that have been used to reset this router. That may be what you are looking for but I don't want to describe procedures I have never used. Because of my lack of familiarity with ddwrt someone else who is more familiar with ddwrt for Asus will have to provide those suggestions.

Last edited:
I have tried the power cycling process and that didn't work. I even booted into the modem and restored to factory defaults and rebooted the modem.

My router works with merlin and my old 54g with ddwrt works. It must be the Fractal firmware.

Any help?