What's new

Noob here..

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bill Dred

New Around Here
Hi all,
I'm new to the forum and to the world of networked storage. I have two questions. First, where can I find a primer of network configuration for NAS use. Second, my WD ex-4 shows up under Network sporadically. What would be causing this? I assume a NAS will function as an alternate storage area should should be visible under Win 7 explorer. Jeez, I'm not even sure I'm using the right terms :(. Any advice is appreciated, I've tried WD tech level 1 and 2 to no avail...

You shouldn't have to configure anything for Windows clients to see a NAS share. Both support SMB protocol by default.

Shares appearing sporadically, could be a problem with Windows network browsing and/or NAS SMB implementation. Most reliable way is to set up a mapped network drive. You should also be able to connect via UNC, i.e. \\IPaddress-of-NAS from Windows Run box.

You shouldn't have to configure anything for Windows clients to see a NAS share. Both support SMB protocol by default.

Shares appearing sporadically, could be a problem with Windows network browsing and/or NAS SMB implementation. Most reliable way is to set up a mapped network drive. You should also be able to connect via UNC, i.e. \\IPaddress-of-NAS from Windows Run box.
Thanks for that. I will get an interpreter and implement...

UNC = Universal Naming Convention. Just what Thiggins wrote out.

If the NAS IP address is 192.168.0.5, just open "run" in windows and type in \\192.168.0.5 and it should pop open an explorer folder showing the contents of the NAS. Then just map the network drive.