What's new

Noob in need of help for QNAP 509

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Moogle Stiltzkin

Regular Contributor
hiyaz. This my first time with a NAS, QNAP and raid Embarassed

Could someone explain more about Raid 5.

I read that you should install 4 hard drives under raid 5. Then the 5th drive can still be inside and used as a spare ? How do you configure this in the options ? What format extension should my drive be formated to ?

(My qnap 509 is only arriving next week ).

What i need from the raid setup is data redundancy incase my hard drives fail and i need to recover my data. Any ideas what setup i should do ? Or should i not use raid and just use JBOD ? Shocked

I am also having trouble deciding what hard drive to use. The hard drives i am planning to install are either 1tb or 1.5tb ( most probably the 1tb since the current 1.5tb is defective.)

Does QNAP 509 support enterprise server hard drives meant and certified for 24/7 operational continuous usage ? does it matter ? If so which would you recommend ?

I was looking at the Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS but read later that there was something defective about it Shocked

Anyway i will be using the QNAP for torrenting 24/7, as well as a web/forum server.

I would like to have your comments on the best choice of disk for the 509Pro. What would be the best between WD 1TB 3.5" SATA II 32MB BLACK 7200RPM (WD1001FALS) and Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1TB - internal - 3.5" - SATA-300 - 7200 rpm - buffer: 32 MB (ST31000340AS)?

Unfortunate that Seagate 1.5Tb is problematic...

Moog, the ES2 drives work great, but they're nearly twice the price of the non-enterprise version. We've got 5 of them running here. Given the cost difference, it would make more sense to buy 6 of the cheaper ($135) 7200 rpm drives and keep one as a spare.

RAID: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redundant_array_of_independent_disks

Chap, I'd venture you'd see zero difference in the NAS between those two drive choices.

Then Seagate is cheaper it is better to take Seagate that the WD?