What's new

Normal temp for RT-AC88u?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Asuswrt-Merlin now supports AiMesh.

Thank you! After reading that post I saw that Merlin supports it as of last july when I searched recent posts and read his change log. Not sure if this is firmware related as its happening with two different versions of stock firmware, suppose it could be worth a try.

when these events occur they are very brief. Its like just enough to drop the connection to the game servers from my desktop (wired), or view the web cams briefly (wifi), streaming services are not totally interrupted as there is a large enough buffer (wired). I can also see the connection quality on TeamSpeak server drop to 50-60% (from 92%) and the sever ping will increase, but only slightly by 10-15ms, TeamSpeak will then drop the connection entirely, then reconnect.

I dont see my latency go crazy, I dont see an in game latency spike. When I try to run a speed test (if i can do so quickly enough), the speed test will often fail the upload part entirely or be very low and jump around like crazy between zero.

Have you tried setting the channels manually. I had that same problem until I set the channels manually just did a site channel scan and picked the least used. On auto it will invariably pick channels 8 and 149 I seem to remember. Now I have the 2.4 on 10 and the 5 GHz on 48 i haven't had a problem since

I have set the wifi channels set manually, im using 11 and 147. I have combed hundreds of posts on this forum to try and dial everything in (this place is an awesome resource and often times over my head).

My service is rated at 400 down and 40 up. I can easily hit those speeds, and come really close to full speed even over wifi when everything is normal. I have 22 clients, half are wired and half are wifi.

While this is starting to point to my ISP, I think that if it were, then the Power or SNR signals of the modem would be out of whack, and they are all within spec. There are no corrected or uncorrected events logged next to any channel. Modem error log, is completely clear.

I would like to swap the router, should be here tomorrow. Im sure that will be a nightmare given the AiMesh nodes will have to be repaired. Next and final test will be plugging the desktop directly into the modem for an evening to see if the problem persists.

Last edited:
I would like to swap the router, should be here tomorrow. Im sure that will be a nightmare given the AiMesh nodes will have to be repaired.

Given my recent 86U experience, and if you stay with stock Asuswrt, and if not able to exactly match firmware on the RP-AC1900s... you might want to begin with build 81858 on your new 86U or downgrade to it if 81992 exhibits similar WiFi issues with your nodes.

OE

Ok thank you, I see them on the asus website. I'm rolled back to 385_20490 on the 88u I feel it has performed better on this revision and the log stays clear.

There are no wifi problems in particular, the clients never drop from their hosts, just the connectivity (bandwidth?) to the internet chokes, and thats LAN wide (wired and wireless). The network itself has been very stable and quick outside of these events.

what is bufferbloat? and is this something I should dig deeper into?

50134726346_506d278de8.jpg

Last edited:
I flashed the router to Merlin 384.18, wow that was stupid easy. I found a post on the forum that said this
Your settings should be :
QoS Type: Adaptive QoS
Bandwidth setting: Manual Setting
Queue Discipline: fq_codel
WAN packet overhead : 0 (don't change anything) I set this to Cable DOCSIS 18
Upload Bandwith: 0.5 35
Download Bandwidth: 6.67 380
Apply then reboot
I am going to try this ^ with the exception of DOCSIS and bandwidth adjustment

Last edited:
I think we are getting somewhere....
50135153312_198f558a8c.jpg

a little short on my speed but i'll take it. I think we can iron out the speed once I get this nailed down. I'm feeling a little more confident.
Both of these tests were done from my wired PC.

failed. 4 drops tonight where all internet traffic was disrupted for 10-30 seconds. Later, a complete disconnect with critical modem error. I checked my ISP status and it said they were doing maintenance in the area. However, it did not say that during the previous 3 drops. I wonder if this could all be related to ISP. The tech is coming out in two days.

The router seemed to do a better job of recovering from the small packet loss events. I will still try the new router tomorrow but im losing hope that this is something under my control.

I grabbed this during a disconnect last night. (as well as others)
What is a "net control packet" and why are there so many going OUT? 690mb in 10 seconds?!
"gaming" data makes sense and looks good
"streaming" data also looks accurate for her use of the appleTV while i was on the desktop.

50138230727_779193b9e5.jpg

86u, no dice. same crap. 4 WAN disconnects. Re-installed 88u.
I have replaced and checked everything I could. Its up to the ISP now, its either the mainline coming into the house or possibly the lone splitter, even though all the modem specs check out fine.

I tethered my desktop PC to my iphone, it was totally stable all night, while the rest of the network in the house dropped several times.
what a giagatic waste of time it was trying to chase this down.

When the event is more severe, I get a modem error entry of this:
Thu Jul 23 21:35:30 2020 Critical (3) Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=00:40:xx:xx:x3:x;CMTS-MAC=00:xx:5c:x5:fa:58;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
any idea what that means?

Seeing more errors now. Uptime since last reboot is only 11 hours.
Cable guy did not show up yesterday, "Will try for Sunday" effing optimum.

There are two, 2-way splitters before the modem. Both are about 4 years old. Signals are in spec on the modem i think, so it may be between my house and the curb. who knows. I thought about moving the modem into the basement after the first splitter.

50147434733_861099eb2f_o.png

Well the tech came today. Total waste of time. Pretty much if his iPad says everything is good, everything is good. When I started talk to him about the packet loss, T3 disconnects, T4 time-outs, he looked at me like I was speaking another language. He put me on the phone with his supervisor who after talking to me suggested they put a monitor on "the plant" to see if it's interference from the neighbors or something like that. Sounded like it monitored the section of our outside wires. My neighbors are like 4 acres away.

I asked him if I should move the modem from electronics stack in the house into the basement. This would reduce the splitters before the modem from 2 to 1. He said "no there is too much wood and metal in the basement"... wait, what?

After he left I moved the modem into the basement. So now only 1 splitter from main line, to it. The numbers have changed in the connection monitor. The power level coming in is higher by ~2.0 to 4.0 dBmv and on the upstream side it appears like the modem is using ~2.0 dBvm less power to transmit. I have no clue if these values are even significant to make any operational difference.

They said to wait for more disconnects after the monitor is up and to call them back.

ughhhh

Stats at new modem location:
50156788401_b96335d9d4_o.png

Last edited:
Its been about 4 weeks. I have had 3 visits from Optimum, and the issue seems to be resolved after the 3rd. You just have to follow their brain-dead protocol, and continue to monitor, and keep records. 1st tech came out, his job was nothing more than a cursory look. 2nd tech, this guy had a ladder, appeared to actually do minor things (changed connector at pole and house). I continued to report the issue and keep details. The 3rd tech arrived with a bucket truck, finally. He had a lot more equipment, and I saw him work his way from my street pole, down the line prob a quarter mile, for around an hour or so.

After the last visit, I have not dropped in the evening. If it was an internal ISP network issue, it's possible they shifted whatever resets would occur at night to the afternoon, or it was physically something outside that was resolved by the last tech with the bucket truck.

the last two guys who came were the only two who seemed to have any knowledge or seemed to care. The key was to keep escalating it.

It's crazy how something can manifest itself, you are beating your head against the wall trying to nail it down, and it ends up being out of your control. Hopefully I didnt just jinx myself, but the connection has been solid every evening. The modem log is NOT free of all errors, but there are much fewer, and the ones that do happen, seem to occur in the afternoon, and are not noticed throughout the network.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!