What's new

not enough IP addresses given

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tuba

Occasional Visitor
My Asus RT-N66U router log often has this line:

Nov 7 04:01:01 pptpd[762]: MGR: Maximum of 100 connections reduced to 10, not enough IP addresses given

It's also been losing internet connection overnight so I think it might be related.

But I've searched for hours and cannot find a clue about this.

Any ideas?

That's a normal message and can be ignored. BTW PPTP is regarded as insecure so I suggest you use OpenVPN instead if you can.

Thank you!

I see that PPTP is Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol. Although I have played around with the VPN settings of my router, I never actually used it.

I'll try OpenVPN or maybe I'll turn VPN off until I need it.

Maybe it will fix my nightly connectivity loss!

Mind if I post some snippets here?
Post it here or upload it to somewhere like pastebin if it's too big. Make sure it covers the period before and after the event. Don't doctor the output as that will only confuse any analysis (but change any references to your public WAN IP address).

Keep trying to post the log but it keeps getting blocked for security on this forum.

Below is the most I can post before it blocks me. Will try to post a different way. Seriously weird.
===================================================
Here is part of the router log file around the time I unplugged the Ethernet cable from the Verizon FIOS ONT that leads to the router and then plugged it back in. That is how I've been able to get the internet working again.

192.168.1.10 is the address of my pi-hole DNS ad-blocking Raspberry pi. Don't know what the #53 part means.

Anything in here look odd?

Here is the log in PNG.
Tried uploading as a text file but it wouldn't work.

Attachments

• Untitled-1 copy.png
    Untitled-1 copy.png
    390.6 KB · Views: 590
Last edited:
Here is the log before unplugging, as a text file.
Just before this part, the router was rebooted. I had it set to reboot daily at 4am.

Attachments

• Asus Router Log Before Cable.txt
    5.9 KB · Views: 636
I can't see anything obvious from the log. It's difficult to know whether the client activity or the incoming connections on port 80 are suspicious as you have redacted so much of the log despite me specifically asking you not to do that.

Next time it happens try to do some diagnosis from the clients to see whether you have actually lost internet connectivity or whether it's just a DNS problem.

I can't see anything obvious from the log. It's difficult to know whether the client activity or the incoming connections on port 80 are suspicious as you have redacted so much of the log despite me specifically asking you not to do that.

Next time it happens try to do some diagnosis from the clients to see whether you have actually lost internet connectivity or whether it's just a DNS problem.

Thanks. I made sure to cover before and after the connection loss. I redacted the IP addresses just because I'm paranoid about putting that stuff on the web (even though they are only internal addresses, they are static). Didn't think that would impact the analysis.

Good news is that I didn't lose internet last night. The only change was to remove my nightly 4am reboot of the router and to change the WPS button from radio toggle to WPS (I read the button sometimes malfunctions and I don't use it anyway). I expect stopping the reboot fixed it but will post back if I lose connection tonight.

Thanks again for the help!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!