What's new

NTP Daemon for ASUSWRT/Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hmm...i've seen this error before. Can't recall the fix on top of my head. I think we might have discussed int his thread. Did you find anything? I'll try to look for the fix...and update you later.

Nothing to help me.

Thanks, I will wait for a solution!

Nothing to help me.

Thanks, I will wait for a solution!

Code:
Sep 19 14:02:02 ntpd[12148]: systime.c:109: INSIST(sys_fuzz >= 0) failed

The above error is causing the failure. Turns out we discussed it last time in this thread when another member jnmacd posted about the same issue. We didn't get to the bottom of the cause. Now reading it again. Coincidentally the error happens only on MIPS routers. N66 in your case. AC66(?) for jnmacd's.

Very likely it's due to how I compiled the executable program, ntpd for MIPS platform. I don't have a N66/AC66 router to test. The error is unlikely to be resolved in near future. Sorry..

The workaround for jnmacd: he found Entware-ng's ntpd binary runs well and compatible with everything else in this little package as in post #1.

So you have the option to install Entware-ng, and then install Entware's ntpd package. Run it as NTP daemon.

The webpage and graphing script from post #1 will continue to work. The only downside in Entware-ng's package is that it'll consume a bit more RAM resource.

Hope this help. Or enough info for you to stop proceeding further.

I see in The logs that the ntpd is started during boot, but when I check from the console with "/opt/etc/init.d/S77ntpd-custom check", I see it's "dead" and I have to start it manually.

Any idea how I can see what's going on?

Sent from my  iPhone using Tapatalk

I see in The logs that the ntpd is started during boot, but when I check from the console with "/opt/etc/init.d/S77ntpd-custom check", I see it's "dead" and I have to start it manually.

Any idea how I can see what's going on?

Weird...only ntpd have this issue? Or it's your only Entware service? Maybe post your syslog to the point after you manually restart ntp daemon..

Hi... installed this on a fresh update of merlin 380.62 ... everything looked ok but my stats are flatlined. Used the ntpq to have a look and it seems I'm not getting any data from the NTP servers.
Code:
     remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset  jitter
==============================================================================
usmia1-ntp-002. .INIT.          16 u    - 1024    0    0.000    0.000   0.000
usdal2-ntp-002. .INIT.          16 u    - 1024    0    0.000    0.000   0.000
jptyo5-ntp-002. .INIT.          16 u    - 1024    0    0.000    0.000   0.000

Is this a double NAT/VPN issue?

Hi... installed this on a fresh update of merlin 380.62 ... everything looked ok but my stats are flatlined. Used the ntpq to have a look and it seems I'm not getting any data from the NTP servers.
Code:
usmia1-ntp-002. .INIT.          16 u    - 1024    0    0.000    0.000   0.000
usdal2-ntp-002. .INIT.          16 u    - 1024    0    0.000    0.000   0.000
jptyo5-ntp-002. .INIT.          16 u    - 1024    0    0.000    0.000   0.000

I had the same problem, for me I found out that it didn't start after a reboot. Had to start it manually.

After I installed that fake hardware clock, it seems to be starting with boot now... not sure why, could just be a coincidence though.

I had the same problem, for me I found out that it didn't start after a reboot. Had to start it manually.

After I installed that fake hardware clock, it seems to be starting with boot now... not sure why, could just be a coincidence though.

The ntpd daemon seems to be running so not sure it is the same issue as you had....
Code:
/opt/etc/init.d/S77ntpd-custom check
Checking ntpd...              alive.

Hi,

It's a simple timing issue: You try to start the NTP daemon to early (before you have time synced which is depended on the DNS if you have set an external time server).

Either you start the NTP deamon later (give the NTP start script a sleep of ~40 sec.) or you fix it with fake HW clock, or (as I did) with hostip (it uses OpenDNS to resolve names).

I have selected hostip for me as it allows me to have DNS ready at a very early stage of the boot process - which is very beneficial for some of my other services running on the router.

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Hi,

It's a simple timing issue: You try to start the NTP daemon to early (before you have time synced which is depended on the DNS if you have set an external time server).

Either you start the NTP deamon later (give the NTP start script a sleep of ~40 sec.) or you fix it with fake HW clock, or (as I did) with hostip (it uses OpenDNS to resolve names).

I have selected hostip for me as it allows me to have DNS ready at a very early stage of the boot process - which is very beneficial for some of my other services running on the router.

With kind regards
Thanks Joegreat It turns out my problem was the VPN. I tried fake-hwclock with no improvement, but as soon as i killed the tunnel the NTP servers started responding
Code:
+usmia1-ntp-002. .GPSs.           1 u    6   64    3  244.374    7.230  11.928
+usdal2-ntp-002. .GPSs.           1 u   61  256    1  283.550    0.157   3.285
*jptyo5-ntp-002. .GPSs.           1 u    5   64    3  183.595    4.234  11.722

Not sure if its a VPN problem or just that the provider is blocking the ports. Guess i will have to route around to make it work.

I couldn't find much info for your hostip solution... would it be possible to show how its done?

Thanks

I couldn't find much info for your hostip solution... would it be possible to show how its done?
Hi,

hostip is part of the dnscrypt package on Entware(-NG) and the usage is discussed on this page of the DNSCrypt setup. Very helpful if you need name resolution before DNSCrypt is running (again a timing topic to be solved)... :rolleyes:

chief@RT-AC87U:/tmp/home/root# opkg list | grep hostip
hostip - 1.6.1-2 - The DNSCrypt proxy ships with a simple tool named hostip that resolves a name to IPv4 or IPv6 addresses.

With kind regards

Last edited:
Hi... seems to be working fine now...

i was going to try the new 4..2.8p7 minimal binary mentioned in an earlier post when i noticed this on support.ntp.org

"NTP users are strongly urged to take immediate action to ensure that their NTP daemons are not susceptible to being used in distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks. Please also take this opportunity to defeat denial-of-service attacks by implementing Ingress and Egress filtering through BCP38.

ntp-4.2.8p8 was released on 02 June 2016. It addresses 1 high- and 4 low--severity security issues, 4 bugfixes, and contains other improvements over 4.2.8p7."

any chance of getting new minimal binaries for this?...

Thanks

Attachments

• stats-ntp-offset.png
    stats-ntp-offset.png
    27.2 KB · Views: 464
@tomsk thanks for letting me know. You did us a big favor!

updated the binaries to 4.2.8p8. Pls get from the usual place.

Done....thanks :)
Code:
Oct  6 22:24:51 ntpd[17917]: ntpd 4.2.8p8@1.3265 Thu Oct  6 15:51:23 UTC 2016 (6): Starting
Oct  6 22:24:51 ntpd[17917]: Command line: ntpd -c /jffs/etc/ntp.conf
Oct  6 22:24:51 ntpd[17926]: proto: precision = 2.160 usec (-19)
Oct  6 22:24:51 ntpd[17926]: Listen normally on 0 lo 127.0.0.1:123
Oct  6 22:24:51 ntpd[17926]: Listen normally on 1 br0 192.168.2.1:123
Oct  6 22:24:51 ntpd[17926]: Listening on routing socket on fd #18 for interface updates

Assume you will update the tar.gz's eventually as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everything is same except new ntp binaries. Hence, people need not to go through all the installation steps again. Download the new binaries and override the old. that's about it.

The post discussing this is here: http://www.snbforums.com/threads/ntp-daemon-for-asuswrt-merlin.28041/page-4#post-259821

Just follow the steps there. Now the binaries are updated to latest ntp release.

Note that I only updated and included ARM last night. If there are shm and MIPS users out there, pls shout.

Hi there
I just installed you deamon but when i want to update there is a file i didn't previously have : ntpdc.arm

Second question, do i have to put iburst after the "server 0.fr.pool.ntp.org" in ntp.conf ? Thanks

I didn't success to make Tools_NtpdStats.asp appears in Tools section from webUI. If i put it manually it works. :/

Last edited:
Hi there
I just installed you deamon but when i want to update there is a file i didn't previously have : ntpdc.arm

Timekeeper is a crusade :) A NTP daemon shall avoid restart whenever possible. But what if you want to change config or fine tune a bit when the daemon is running? ntpdc is the tool to do that. Here is the manual how to use: http://doc.ntp.org/current-stable/ntpdc.html

Second question, do i have to put iburst after the "server 0.fr.pool.ntp.org" in ntp.conf ? Thanks

Not a critical parameter. Either way is fine. I don't have in my config.

I didn't success to make Tools_NtpdStats.asp appears in Tools section from webUI. If i put it manually it works. :/

This little package was written in an attempt to be version agnostic. I haven't touched Merlin firmware for a long time. It's possible some HTML changes that might break the SED commands. What error did you see? Anyway glad that you fixed it manually already. Enjoy!

Hi,

After installing NTP Daemon the HDD with Entware-NG will spin down as before installing NTP Daemon?

Many thanks.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online