What's new

One large main switch or a few smaller switches?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

xraycat

New Around Here
I've recently moved into a 2-story house that isn't wired. I'm going to be running CAT6 to each room and am trying to decide on how many drops for each room.
Because of that I'm wondering which is the best method; every room to have multiple home runs to a single, large switch in the basement or I place switches strategically throughout the house to provide multiple connections to each area. Every room would have a wall plate with female jacks.

This doesn't necessarily mean a switch per room, but I'd be using a switch where multiple connections are required.

I know it's just as much effort to run 12 cables as it is to run 1 but if everything is home-run the switch will need to have about 24 ports which is not common in household equipment or expensive. However, I could get multiple 5 or 8-port gigabit routers for under $30 each.

I'm just looking for opinions on the pros and cons of each.

One big switch is always better because the backplane in the big switch is faster than 1 gig. If you string a bunch of little switches together, they will be limited by the 1 gig connection ports on the little switches all strung together. The problem that happens is you end up needing switches in different locations so the 1 switch idea does not work.

yes, often it's a practical matter of cable runs.
Multiple switches- not usually a performance issue in ethernet.

This is an old thread but for the benefit of anyone that might read this later...It's best to wire anything new with a Home Run. Essentially meaning run all new jacks to a centralized location in the home. Generally in a basement or near the breaker panel.

The idea is to future proof the home as much as reasonably possible. Imagine you have a fancy room you're using as your office with lots of racked goodies then you start adding wiring to your next room over which is your home theater living room area. Then the wife says hunny we need to talk and suddenly that office is being turned into a nursery and all that wiring terminates there...not a good situation.

So if you're adding new wiring a couple of things to keep in mind. If you're needing 1 port...pull 2...if you're needing 2 pull 4. And run everything back to a centralized location where most of your networking equipment can sit. The future users will thank you.

Another good idea wiring a home before sheetrock goes up is to use some sort of conduit runs through inaccessible areas. Examples are the plastic conduit or the Smurf Tube aka blue flexible stuff that snaps right into the low voltage boxes. If you ever have to rewire stuff...you will be very happy.

I even worked with a friend and convinced him to add 2 3" pvc pipe from basement to attic for future wiring needs...be sure to cap them when unused and sealed up when in use. If you ever wanted to add ceiling or wall speakers etc...you will be very thankful.

Be sure to add plenty of extra data ports. You always need more.

Smurf Tube passing through 2x4 studs looks dangerous to me. Metal patch to try to preserve strength. Would those be code-legal? And prudent for 40 years?

Smurf Tube is code compliant for low voltage anyway. I would suggest nail plates at ANY stud penetration from wiring or plumbing.

Performance doesnt really matter between one big or many small. There are however a few things required for either of them.

With 1 big switch there will be a lot of wiring going a round. It is simpler in configuration and STP still is required because routers do have switches too.

With many small switches you will need a big switch with 10G ports at least and small switches with some 10G ports to build a gigabit network. This is to prevent limitting the bandwidth. It is recommended to connect everything using a star network topology. For every switch you add behind one you need to make sure the maximum bandwidth can be achieved for everything behind it. Regarding 10G ports you can use 10G ethernet or 10G SFP+ direct for the cheapest solution. If you are chaining switches make sure that they can all access full port bandwidth altogether and you will need to use RSTP at least. having small switches can simplify wiring but has more variables to look for in order to have a proper functioning network.

Aide from 10G interfaces some switches have proprietary stacking interfaces that are high bandwidth interfaces that use different connectors such as HDMI for example. These things do have limits so be sure to take note of their limits and plan your network accordingly.

Old thread, I assume OP moved on.

For the conduit, unless is is through an open/boxed run, you can't/do not want to run 3" PVC through a header(s) up to an attic. Even on non load bearing, that'll errode the entire head/footer. Much better off with a smaller 1.5" conduit and multiple if you need it. Pretty much anything bigger than that and the header/footer provides no structual strength at all.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!