What's new

OpenVPN client connects but cannot access servers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Chumbawumba

New Around Here
I live in China. I'm trying to set up my router as a OpenVPN client to route all traffic through the VPN connection. I've successfully setup the OpenVPN client (i.e. it connects) but any devices that connect to the router are unable to browse any servers.

The Asusmerlin interface indicates that data was being exchanged, but on the browser/client side, I wasn't able to load any pages:

TUN/TAP read bytes, TUN/UDP read bytes do indicate some data passing through. TCP/UDP write bytes also has data passing through but TUN/TAP write bytes is always 0. The interface resets to zero across all reported categories every 30 seconds or so.

Once I turned the VPN client off, I would have normal behavior: China sites and approved sites were accessible, blocked sites (e.g. Google, Facebook, etc.) were not.

I contacted ExpressVPN support and they essentially said to flash their app to the firmware. I'd like to see if there was just a configuration issue on my end to use the OpenVPN client because it's less work and the effects are well-known (e.g. I don't have to worry about bricking my router).

How do I troubleshoot this issue? How do I check to see if the OpenVPN connection is working? I suspect what is happening is that the data is going through, but on return, the router just drops it (I don't know, I'm just guessing). Does my configuration below look reasonable? I've googled around a bit and tweaked the settings but haven't found a solution.

ASUS Wireless Router_ - http___192.168.200.1.png

Router: ASUS RT-AC68u
Firmware: Merlin 384.9
VPN Provider: ExpressVPN

Resources examined:
DDWRT: OpenVPN client connects but no net access
SNBForums: How to setup a VPN client