What's new

OpenVPN noob cant see LAN shares

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dieter

Hello,

I just set up OpenVPN server on an RT-AC1900P, and client on my Windows 10 laptop. I used all default install settings. Push Lan to Client is enabled.

When my laptop connects (via XFINITYWiFi), it gets a 10.8.x.x IP address. I am barely (slowly) able to log into the router, but it does not serve up much info of my clients, etc.

I can not see any of my usual 192.168.1.x Workgroup (not Homegrooup) shares on the laptop.
I also can not ping any of the 192.168.1.x IPs.

I tried changing the VPN subnet, but it will only accept 192.1.0.0, but it still does not see my shares.

What am I doing wrong? Or am I expecting too much from the VPN? I thought using a VPN would allow me to see everything as if I was on my LAN.

Dieter

Last edited:
Upon further investigation, my Windows 10 Network Sharing Center shows an Unidentified Network connection with NO Network Access. The details are (among others):
DHCP Enabled: Yes
IPv4 Address: 10.8.0.6
IPv4 Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.252
IPv4 Default Gateway:
IPv4 DHCP Server: 10.8.0.5

I have no idea how to enable network access.

Hello,

I just set up OpenVPN server on an RT-AC1900P, and client on my Windows 10 laptop. I used all default install settings. Push Lan to Client is enabled.

When my laptop connects (via XFINITYWiFi), it gets a 10.8.x.x IP address. I am barely (slowly) able to log into the router, but it does not serve up much info of my clients, etc.

I can not see any of my usual 192.168.1.x Workgroup (not Homegrooup) shares on the laptop.
I also can not ping any of the 192.168.1.x IPs.

I tried changing the VPN subnet, but it will only accept 192.1.0.0, but it still does not see my shares.

What am I doing wrong? Or am I expecting too much from the VPN? I thought using a VPN would allow me to see everything as if I was on my LAN.

Dieter
You do not need to change subnets of VPN
you need to read the guide and set it up properly :)
also the reason for the slow traffic is because you probably enabled Direct clients to redirect Internet traffic and you don't have sufficient bandwidth. When you disable that all internet traffic will go from the ISP you connected too and whatever you do with your server for example file sharing or remote desktop will be done via the VPN tunnel. This way things will be way faster.

I have followed your instructions exactly, but I still can not see the file shares. I even disabled the Windows firewall, and still nothing.
A couple of questions:
1. What does the /24 on 10.8.0.0/24 mean?
2. In server config, the PROTOCOL is UTP. Why not TCP?
3. The OpenVPN setup also has a VPN Client TAB. Anything that needs changing here?
4. If the Windows Firewall is disabled, do i still need an inbound rule?
5. Do I have to reboot the LAN client after making changes to the rules?

Why do things have to be this difficult?!

I have followed your instructions exactly, but I still can not see the file shares. I even disabled the Windows firewall, and still nothing.
A couple of questions:

4. If the Windows firewall is disabled, the inbound rules are all 'accept'. Do not connect to the internet without the Windows Firewall enabled for extended periods (except for testing). You will be compromised.

5. Yes.

This isn't difficult. It is just a matter of making the required changes in the required order with the required rebooting (as needed) on both the server and client side of the VPN. :)

Thanks, a couple of more findings with Windows Firewall disabled:
1. Ping 192.168.1.x gets times out
2. Remote desktop connects, but the screen is black.

I have read to set up the router for bridging rather than routing, but i cant find the setting for this.

What about having to set up a static route to get from 10.8.0.0. to 192.168.1.x?

There has to be something else to prevent me from connection/seeing the LAN computer...

I'm using the Windows Workgroup ever upgrading to Windows 10. Should I be using a HOMEGROUP, and could this be the cause of my problem?

Last edited:
I tried creating a homegroup, but that does also not work.

Please, can you answer my questions 1-3 a couple of post back...

OK, Ping works (but get dropped packets), Remote Desktop works sort of (slow and I get Internal Error messages when clicking on the desktop).

Can someone tell me how to get at my SHARES? On the LAN, the shared computer shows up in my Network list, but not when using the VPN. How do i get at the shared folders?

OK, Ping works (but get dropped packets), Remote Desktop works sort of (slow and I get Internal Error messages when clicking on the desktop).

Can someone tell me how to get at my SHARES? On the LAN, the shared computer shows up in my Network list, but not when using the VPN. How do i get at the shared folders?
its normal that ping wont work with win 10. if you enable TCP port for win10 as I explained you will have access to your network.
if you want to ping you need to make a rule for ping icmp v4 which is ping.
If you disable windows firewall ping and network share should work. if it doesn't you did something wrong.

As I asked, how do I get access to my shares using windows 10? Normally on the LAN, the computer shows up on Network list of computers. When I click on it, the shared folders show up.
With the VPN, the computer does NOT show in my network list. Hence i can't bring up any shares.

did you disable or enable this Direct clients to redirect Internet traffic?
it should not be enabled maybe this is why you are getting slow connections.
also you should not be getting black screen if you do remote desktop using windows RD app.
if you use Team viewer then you can get a black screen.

Did you enable this "Push LAN to clients" it has to be on in order to get your network shares.
If you follow the guide and the firewall rules you should get file sharing to work.
you may need to map a share.
A couple of questions:
1. What does the /24 on 10.8.0.0/24 mean?
2. In server config, the PROTOCOL is UTP. Why not TCP?
3. The OpenVPN setup also has a VPN Client TAB. Anything that needs changing here?

things are not difficult. follow the guide, put the options the same way they are in the image.
1. 1. What does the /24 on 10.8.0.0/24 mean?
/24 is a CDIR range covers an entire subnet. example 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.254 which is 254 addresses can be written as 192.168.1.0/24
2. who cares. just leave it on UDP
3.VPN client tab is if you are using a VPN provider like PIA then you setup a VPN client or if you are using another router in another area you can setup vpn client to connect to your VPN server.
4. never disable the firewall. just do that to test then put it back up.
5. yes

Disabled - Direct clients to redirect Internet traffic

Enabled - Push LAN to clients

As I asked, how do I get access to my shares using windows 10? Normally on the LAN, the computer shows up on Network list of computers. When I click on it, the shared folders show up.
With the VPN, the computer does NOT show in my network list. Hence i can't bring up any shares.
map a network and see if it works.
before you log on to the VPN server go to windows file explorer and right click on network and click on map network drive.
type \\ip address of pc you want to access\share name
so example if your ip address of the pc you want to access its shares is 192.168.1.50 and you created a share called pictures then type this in
\\192.168.1.50\pictures when you connect to the share you will see it as a drive share on the left of file manager.
When you click on it you will see the shares.
now connect to the VPN server disable the firewall f windows just for a test and then click on that share. it should work.
if it does then enable the firewall and test again. if it doesn't then you know you have to write a rule.
read the guide it explains it all.

Thank you all for trying to help, but I'm done with VPN. I have been working on this for 3 days to get it working smoothly, but cant. Yorgi's documentation is good, but using the VPN client works differently from working on the LAN. I'm not going to change my modus operandi - too old... This was primarily a learning experience.
Thanks again.

Thank you all for trying to help, but I'm done with VPN. I have been working on this for 3 days to get it working smoothly, but cant. Yorgi's documentation is good, but using the VPN client works differently from working on the LAN. I'm not going to change my modus operandi - too old... This was primarily a learning experience.
Thanks again.
before you give up try tap mode instead of tun, Tap behaves like a real network adapter its a virtual network mode and you should in theory be able to access your network, try it out.

Hurray! Everything is working with OpenVPN. I started from scratch configuring the RT-AC1900P OpenVPN server, the client, and inbound rule on the LAN computer. Rebooted all, and low and behold all is working including seeing the shares as long as I use \\IP\share.

I do have another question on Windows 10 LAN computer. In the Advance Sharing settings is has Private, Guest or Public, and ALL networks. I currently have enabled all sharing in all Network Profiles.

Is the VPN a Private, a Guest or Public, or ALL network? Each has settings for turning sharing ON, etc.

I would like to turn OFF what I dont need to make the VPN work with sharing...

Hurray! Everything is working with OpenVPN. I started from scratch configuring the RT-AC1900P OpenVPN server, the client, and inbound rule on the LAN computer. Rebooted all, and low and behold all is working including seeing the shares as long as I use \\IP\share.

I do have another question on Windows 10 LAN computer. In the Advance Sharing settings is has Private, Guest or Public, and ALL networks. I currently have enabled all sharing in all Network Profiles.

Is the VPN a Private, a Guest or Public, or ALL network? Each has settings for turning sharing ON, etc.

I would like to turn OFF what I dont need to make the VPN work with sharing...
you need all 3 enabled.
I am happy that you didn't give up :)
congratulations :)