What's new

OpenVPN routing question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

davidology

Occasional Visitor
This is probably a dumb question, but when it comes to VPNs, my knowledge is limited. I've searched but unable to find an answer.

Here's the situation: I have my home router and my parents router. I've connected them together by VPN like this:

Parents (RT-AC87u) - running OpenVPN server 192.168.20.0/24
Mine (RT-AC5300) - OpenVPN client 192.168.10.0/24

When I'm on my home network, I'm able to route to 192.168.20.x with no problem. When I'm on my parents' network, I'm unable to get anything to 192.168.10.x to route back. It seems superfluous to setup a client on theirs to mine, but I'm sure I could be completely wrong and that's what's required. Or is it just a simple configuration line I need either at the server or client?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

It sounds like you want to be on the same network so first let me explain something. From stackexchange: TAP is basically at Ethernet level (layer 2) and acts like a switch where as TUN works at network level (layer 3) and routes packets on the VPN. TAP is bridging whereas TUN is routing.

Specifically in English that means that if you want to make two remote networks act as one network, sharing printers, devices, all protocol exchanges but then also being burdened by all of those broacasts & etc then you use TAP. You do not have to add routes with TAP you are bridged. But say you want to instead only add a few devices but you don't need/want traffic from all the other stuff on the two networks exchanging, now you will want to specifically add routes using a TUN network. In this scenario the server sets routes which are pushed/pulled including the clients routes which then make that route accessible by all other clients/server (think server.ovpn). I think with those keywords you can now Google a solution but also I want to mention that you should make sure you have poked holes in your firewall. (zonealarm is particularly hard for me to satisfy but Windows Firewall is easy, as is UFW for linux) With zonealarm I have had an experience where disabling it did not disable it, I had to uninstall/reinstall it!!!

Here's a thread where someone has a TUN setup he listed his setup due to a firewall issue, profit for you.. (I only glanced at this I'm at work)
https://forums.openvpn.net/viewtopic.php?t=23093

Edit: server.ovpn, not server.conf.. (sorry working on .conf stuff today lol)

Last edited: