What's new

openVPN server setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jrosen

New Around Here
I enabled OpenVPN server, installed the openVPN client (win10) - grabbed the config file (I had to edit it to include my public IP address, for some reason the file has 0.0.0.0). I am doing IP Passthrough on my Motorola Uverse router - so in theory I don't need to add any forwarding rules to the Motorola device. Do I need to open anything up on my Asus to get it to work, or just enabling it should be enough?

The connection window just shows this, and from what I can tell its not actually reaching the router.

Wed Jun 29 13:58:37 2016 OpenVPN 2.3.11 x86_64-w64-mingw32 [SSL (OpenSSL)] [LZO] [PKCS11] [IPv6] built on May 10 2016

Wed Jun 29 13:58:37 2016 Windows version 6.2 (Windows 8 or greater) 64bit
Wed Jun 29 13:58:37 2016 library versions: OpenSSL 1.0.1t 3 May 2016, LZO 2.09
Wed Jun 29 13:58:42 2016 UDPv4 link local: [undef]
Wed Jun 29 13:58:42 2016 UDPv4 link remote: [AF_INET]###.###.###.###:1194

Enabling OpenVPN server on your Asus should create all necessary iptables rules. However, just a moment ago I ran into an issue where those rules do NOT get created on reboot even though the /etc/openvpn/fw/serverX-fw.sh file is created and contains the right entries.

Can you check or paste here the contents of your INPUT and FORWARD chains?

No response from the OP, but I would like to bring this to Merlin's attention if possible.

I played around with this a little more and found out that the serverX-fw.sh script does get run yet the rules are not in place. In my opinion, it leaves only one option left: another iptables instance is running at the same time during the execution of the script, hence, locks out any others and those rules do not get entered. Is this at all possible? If so, any idea how to pinpoint the offending iptables process?