What's new

OpenVPN server stuck w/ spinning "Initializing settings..." wheel

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JaimeZX

So. Trying to set up a new server. When I hit apply, I of course see:

"Initialinzing the settings of OpenVPN server now, please wait a few minutes to let the server to setup completed before VPN clients establish the connection."

I am now amused to see a typo burned into the firmware, above. LOL

Anyway.
Syslog says:
Code:
Jul 10 15:35:03 rc_service: httpd 983:notify_rc restart_chpass;restart_vpnserver1
Jul 10 15:35:03 rc_service: waitting "restart_vpnserver1" via  ...
Jul 10 15:35:18 rc_service: skip the event: restart_chpass;restart_vpnserver1.
Thoughts? Wheel has been spinning for 45 minutes now...

So this is the same router that you said in your other thread you thought was broken and the LEDSs don't work any more?

Nope. This one is an RT-AC86U at my in-laws' house. Trying to set up a VPN here so I can access US-only websites + Skynet/Diversion when traveling overseas.

Edit: now that 3100 is surplus... thinking of setting up Suricata on it and putting it outside the 86 for IPS. :p

I've found a few reports of this problem, each with the RT-AC86U. In each case the solution was to do a factory reset and erase the jffs. Perhaps jffs has run out of space.

REALLY? Man, that's a bummer. I literally just set up this router brand new a month ago. At the command line, df suggests that /jffs is only 7% full. (3608 of 45544 blocks).

The actual cause was never truly identified so there may be another solution yet to be discovered. On the face of it your jffs looks OK.

Hm. I wonder if the other VPN types available on the router would work for the same purpose? PPTP/IPSec.

Further research required.
--------------------------------------
Edit: marginally satisfying update not worthy of thread bump.

Rebooted router. Again. This time seemed to work.

This thread seemed to indicate VPN startup sometimes conflicted with firewall-start but anyway, it's working okay now. Hopefully it "sticks."

Last edited: