What's new

OpenWRT is available for N56U (full support, including both wireless radios)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Anyone been having issues with Trunk builds by moonman (Chaos Calmer) where 2.4GHz tends to drop, and sometimes 5GHz has problems with Survey Floor Noise? I tried to sysupgrade to 46006 but occasionally my 2.4GHz drops. What trunk version is Barrier Breaker stable? I would rather go downgrade to something a bit more reliable

Anyone been having issues with Trunk builds by moonman (Chaos Calmer) where 2.4GHz tends to drop, and sometimes 5GHz has problems with Survey Floor Noise? I tried to sysupgrade to 46006 but occasionally my 2.4GHz drops. What trunk version is Barrier Breaker stable? I would rather go downgrade to something a bit more reliable

My 2.4 has been very flaky. Was just investigating to see what I should consider. Most of what we have in the house will connect via 5 GHz, which is nice, but for the few things that won't, it is very frustrating. I am experiencing less-than-stellar signals, but more than anything, just the drops and failure to even get an IP address sometimes. Any help is appreciated.

I have yet to update anything. I am afraid to screw everything up. Is there a best way to go about deciding what to update?

My 2.4 has been very flaky. Was just investigating to see what I should consider. Most of what we have in the house will connect via 5 GHz, which is nice, but for the few things that won't, it is very frustrating. I am experiencing less-than-stellar signals, but more than anything, just the drops and failure to even get an IP address sometimes. Any help is appreciated.

I have yet to update anything. I am afraid to screw everything up. Is there a best way to go about deciding what to update?

If you used a squashfs version of the update just go into the System>Flash Firmware and flash a *-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin file. Currently using 46006 and even earlier versions my 2.4 has been flaky. I would use 5GHz solely but it has weaker concrete wall penetration and I have a legacy linux netbook that needs 2.4ghz lol

If you used a squashfs version of the update just go into the System>Flash Firmware and flash a *-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin file. Currently using 46006 and even earlier versions my 2.4 has been flaky. I would use 5GHz solely but it has weaker concrete wall penetration and I have a legacy linux netbook that needs 2.4ghz lol

So, you think that 46006 has been a reliable build for you, including good 2.4 GHz, right? I am mostly trying to keep my old Nexus 7 connecting, because my kids like me to play Minecraft with them. I'm strongly considering getting rid of it, but that is another story.

N
So, you think that 46006 has been a reliable build for you, including good 2.4 GHz, right? I am mostly trying to keep my old Nexus 7 connecting, because my kids like me to play Minecraft with them. I'm strongly considering getting rid of it, but that is another story.

No. Don't get me wrong, moonman has been doing miracles making trunks supporting a router that's a few years old, but I love OPENWRT due to flexibility but on this router the WiFi tends to drop out often. I recently upgraded to trunk 46006 to try to solve the 2.4Ghz issue and no luck, only now receive errors on the 5Ghz as well. Syllogism reports something about not being able to get noise floor. I find myself constantly restarting WiFi to get it working again. Waiting to get a cp2012 to reflash my TL-WDR3600 which I found more reliable until I bad flashed it.

That is disappointing. Well, I did the update to see what it does. It at least acquires an IP now, but if it drops, that isn't going to do me a ton of good either.

I have been experiencing the same problems, though I am not a heavy wifi user. I have most of my things wired, except for laptops of course so I did not really pay attention to this to be honest. The bug must be in the open-source driver. There is a possibility to compile proprietary ralink driver used in Padavan's firmware (i know the wording is weird, yes the driver is proprietary, but somehow Mr. Padavan has sources for it AND it seems ralink doesn't care) for openwrt. However I am yet to figure out why I can't build openwrt + all packages. It seems to compile fine without additional feeds.

Anyone able to determine yet whether Chaos Calmer 15.05 final that came out today has the 2.4ghz / 5ghz problem on the RT-N56U?

Anyone able to determine yet whether Chaos Calmer 15.05 final that came out today has the 2.4ghz / 5ghz problem on the RT-N56U?

Did you end up trying it? I am getting pretty fed up with this firmware, so I think I have to change something.

Did you end up trying it? I am getting pretty fed up with this firmware, so I think I have to change something.

I went to Padavan since no one could confirm OpenWRT CC would work (and what little evidence I could find hinted at not).

Padavan is very good. I am on a recent nightly and have had zero problems.

I went to Padavan since no one could confirm OpenWRT CC would work (and what little evidence I could find hinted at not).

Padavan is very good. I am on a recent nightly and have had zero problems.

Just flashed Chaos Calmer to give it a go. It works so far. Will report back after some time has passed.

A couple of questions. Installed today played with it awhile then updated through LuCI to Chaos Calmer
First thing, LuCI is painfully slow in Chaos Calmer.

My main problem is getting 5ghz working.
In Barrier Breaker it would start but would show 0% signal and ? for speed. I tried configuring with vi initially as well as through LuCI. In Chaos 5GHz won't even start, it's also showing 0.000 GHz.
From my understanding the issue of configuring with LuCI was fixed before Chaos Calmer but that doesn't account for Barrier Breaker.

Is there still problems with LuCI or am I derping it?

After spending the week on Chaos Calmer, I am ready to move on, because this whole constant WiFi drop thing seems to persist. I haven't done any troubleshooting beyond initially getting the 5 GHz stuff working manually, but I think it is fools gold, as I cannot maintain a reliable connection.

So, unless somebody knows better, I am planning to go back to Padavan or just get a new router.

After spending the week on Chaos Calmer, I am ready to move on, because this whole constant WiFi drop thing seems to persist. I haven't done any troubleshooting beyond initially getting the 5 GHz stuff working manually, but I think it is fools gold, as I cannot maintain a reliable connection.

So, unless somebody knows better, I am planning to go back to Padavan or just get a new router.
Yeah. After getting everything setup manually by ssh, then discovering WiFi speeds literally a tenth of stock, I woke up the next morning to complaints of the Internet not working. Nothing but a reboot would fix it, which I had read was an earlier problem.

I went back to stock.

I made some effort to get the drivers from padavan's firmware into openwrt but got stuck at compilation failure. Don't know what the heck I am doing wrong. If that worked, I am certain the drivers would compile and work. Oh well...
I now have Netgear R6300v2. Did not plan on buying it, but the deal was too good to resist. I don't think I will be coming back to this router. Good hardware. Crappy (open source) drivers.

Hello everybody,

I have got an RT-N56U (since November 2013).

Yesterday I installed OpenWrt 14.07 barrier Braker and it worked.

After that I flashed openwrt-15.05.1-ramips-rt3883-rt-n56u-squashfs-factory.bin
from https://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_calmer/15.05.1/ramips/rt3883/
and I think that was a mistake.

Now I cannot get any connection to the device. Two LEDs (power and wireless) are permanently on.

I'm getting no IP address (dhcp) from it and the recovery mode doesn't work.

Do you have any idea / possibility for me?

Thank you very much in advance.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!