What's new

Outdoor switch - -35f - +130f

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

beengone

Occasional Visitor
I need a switch to go inside an outdoor, weatherproof box near the middle of Michigan. The box will get full sun exposure pretty much all day, so I estimate the temp inside the box to get to around 130f. In the winter we can hit around -35f. This can be a simple, unmanaged switch.

More info: I'm installing a Ubiquiti NanoBeam M and an UAP-Outdoor+ outside this box on a mast. My plan is to use this switch to connect the two devices through each of their own PoE injectors. I looked into a PoE switch to cut down on devices and power transformers, but don't think the cost is worthwhile. A switch with any management features is fine, but not necessary.

Any suggestions?

What is your budget? Most switches are not rated for those temperatures. The Ubiquiti Toughswitch is rated for those temps, but it is a little expensive. I assume you have looked at it already (since you seem to be familiar with there Unifi and Airmax products).

What is your budget? Most switches are not rated for those temperatures. The Ubiquiti Toughswitch is rated for those temps, but it is a little expensive. I assume you have looked at it already (since you seem to be familiar with there Unifi and Airmax products).

Cheaper the better. I see some from Tycon that include PoE for around $300, but don't really need it to provide PoE.

The ToughSwitches are only -15f. Sadly, I know we'll get below that, at least outside the box. And, unless the switch runs warm, that's going to be an issue. (and if it does run warm, that might be an issue on the other end when the sun is beating down).

Well, if you want to bodge, on the low temperature side of things, you could rig it up with a thermal switch so once temperatures dropped low enough that something turned on to produce a small amount of heat.

The thing though is, even if it doesn't run all that warm, in a closed box, 1-2 watts of heat is probably enough to warm the inside of the box 2-3F. Running POE to I assume 10-15w of powered devices, plus the switching and stuff is probably generating at least 4-5w of heat...so if it is -35F outside, it is probably at least -15F inside the box. Maybe a little warmer.

The other thing is, if the summer temperature is an issue, shade the box with something. Could just be a small stand-off cover. That could easily drop the temperature by 10F or more.

Well, if you want to bodge, on the low temperature side of things, you could rig it up with a thermal switch so once temperatures dropped low enough that something turned on to produce a small amount of heat.

The thing though is, even if it doesn't run all that warm, in a closed box, 1-2 watts of heat is probably enough to warm the inside of the box 2-3F. Running POE to I assume 10-15w of powered devices, plus the switching and stuff is probably generating at least 4-5w of heat...so if it is -35F outside, it is probably at least -15F inside the box. Maybe a little warmer.

The other thing is, if the summer temperature is an issue, shade the box with something. Could just be a small stand-off cover. That could easily drop the temperature by 10F or more.

I thought about the thermal switch, but hope to find equipment that doesn't require additional items. I've also thought about a shade cover for it and will likely implement that. Thanks.

Climate controlled housing of some sort, a good quality ice chest would probably take care of winter and the heat generated by the switch and sunlight during the day would take care of it, summer though you would need to bleed heat off someway. DDB makes pole mount enclosures with ac options, they get darn pricey though.

I need a switch to go inside an outdoor, weatherproof box near the middle of Michigan. The box will get full sun exposure pretty much all day, so I estimate the temp inside the box to get to around 130f. In the winter we can hit around -35f. This can be a simple, unmanaged switch.

More info: I'm installing a Ubiquiti NanoBeam M and an UAP-Outdoor+ outside this box on a mast. My plan is to use this switch to connect the two devices through each of their own PoE injectors. I looked into a PoE switch to cut down on devices and power transformers, but don't think the cost is worthwhile. A switch with any management features is fine, but not necessary.

Any suggestions?
Simple. Just mount it so it stays dry, has desiccant inside, is white painted externally, and has a solar shade - that being anything to put a 1-2 inch gap between the shade and the box. For cold, just never turn it off. Self-heating will do.

PoE per IEEE standard is expensive. YOu can get by with power inserters like
http://www.flyteccomputers.com/deta...LED-S &wre=1&gclid=CMKVjfLSxb8CFRARjgodgCUAoQ
or any other similar. Google for cat5 power inserter.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!