What's new

uiDivStats Over 8,000 requests for router gui login uiDivStats reports.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Davidncali001

Regular Contributor
Hello, I am using the following add-on scripts with my AC86U: Diversion , Skynet, AMTM, uiDivStats. I also use the OpenVPN Client.

I noticed while looking at the uiDivStats that router.asus. com has been accessed over 8,000 times since I installed the latest 384.13 beta 1 of RMerlins firmware just two days ago.

In order to access my GUI I must enter https://router.asus .com:8443 however I only accessed it a few times which doesn't explain for the over 8,000 hits to router.asus .com.

Does anyone know why this is happening?

Attached is an image to clarify.

picture.jpg

Hello, I am using the following add-on scripts with my AC86U: Diversion , Skynet, AMTM, uiDivStats. I also use the OpenVPN Client.

I noticed while looking at the uiDivStats that router.asus. com has been accessed over 8,000 times since I installed the latest 384.13 beta 1 of RMerlins firmware just two days ago.

In order to access my GUI I must enter https://router.asus .com:8443 however I only accessed it a few times which doesn't explain for the over 8,000 hits to router.asus .com.

Does anyone know why this is happening?

Attached is an image to clarify.

View attachment 18797
The WebUI is frequently pinging the router with JavaScript and router.asus.com is not allowed to be cached by your PC, so every request is a new query to dnsmasq. Close any tabs when you’re done with the GUI.

I originally posted about this here: Diversion - the Router Ad-Blocker

Last edited:
I close all browser tabs and clear cache every time I log out of the GUI.

Sorry, but I'm still confused as to how to fix this. I checked out the thread you made and saw you changed a variable but I don't know where to do that at or if that will even fix the pinging to the router.
Thanks!

I close all browser tabs and clear cache every time I log out of the GUI.

Sorry, but I'm still confused as to how to fix this. I checked out the thread you made and saw you changed a variable but I don't know where to do that at or if that will even fix the pinging to the router.
Thanks!
Yeah, not really a good idea for most users to do what I suggested. @thelonelycoder didn't think it was a good idea because it would also interfere with the way diversion block lists work as well as built-in hosts entries.

The simplest way to avoid it is to login to the router with the IP and not router.asus.com. But it may not play nicely over https.

So basically when I'm logged in to the gui via https : // router . asus . com :8443 something is pinging the router causing all those entries?

So there is nothing to really worry about?
Thanks

So basically when I'm logged in to the gui via https : // router . asus . com :8443 something is pinging the router causing all those entries?

So there is nothing to really worry about?
Thanks
Yes, if you open a browser console and look at the network section, you can see the repeated calls.
upload_2019-7-30_15-59-6.png

Hey thanks for clarifying and helping me out. I appreciate it! :)

Reviving this old thread as it describes exactly my problem, over 9500 hits in just a few days while setting up my network. Would adding router.asus.com to the static DHCP-assignments with its own IP-address and excluding it through 6. Exclude client IP address(es) in stats off in a terminal do the trick? Or am I missing something crucial here?

Last edited:
Reviving this old thread as it describes exactly my problem, over 9500 hits in just a few days while setting up my network. Would adding router.asus.com to the static DHCP-assignments with its own IP-address and excluding it through 6. Exclude client IP address(es) in stats off in a terminal do the trick? Or am I missing something crucial here?
You need a longer TTL on the router hostname to prevent dnsmasq from having to repeatedly answer the query. I ended up with a dnsmasq.postconf with this code:
Bash:
#!/bin/sh

CONFIG="$1"
. /usr/sbin/helper.sh

pc_append "host-record=$(nvram get lan_hostname).$(nvram get lan_domain),$(nvram get lan_ipaddr),3600" "$CONFIG"
pc_append "host-record=$(nvram get local_domain),$(nvram get lan_ipaddr),3600" "$CONFIG"
If you have a custom domain, it will add both the custom router hostname and the default router.asus.com with a 1 hour TTL, which should cut down on the number of queries that hit dnsmasq. If you don't use a custom domain name, you can omit the first pc_append line.

Reactions: MvW
You need a longer TTL on the router hostname to prevent dnsmasq from having to repeatedly answer the query. I ended up with a dnsmasq.postconf with this code:
Bash:
#!/bin/sh

CONFIG="$1"
. /usr/sbin/helper.sh

pc_append "host-record=$(nvram get lan_hostname).$(nvram get lan_domain),$(nvram get lan_ipaddr),3600" "$CONFIG"
pc_append "host-record=$(nvram get local_domain),$(nvram get lan_ipaddr),3600" "$CONFIG"
If you have a custom domain, it will add both the custom router hostname and the default router.asus.com with a 1 hour TTL, which should cut down on the number of queries that hit dnsmasq. If you don't use a custom domain name, you can omit the first pc_append line.

I've edited /jffs/scripts/dnsmasq.postconf with the lines above and restarted dnsmasq. Anything else I need to do? Will this survive a reboot or is there a clever way to automatically append this at boot?

Sorry, lots of questions, long time user, but due to health issues I've been gone for the past three years or so so I have a lot of catching up to do...

For some reason, after editing and restarting dnsmasq.postconf, when I launch Diversion I get an error:

Error, no stats, logging is disabled

Update: after a reboot (which the edits to /jffs/scripts/dnsmasq.postconf apparently survived) logging is started again and everything seems to work fine.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!